Camping with smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

missed-em

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Dorchester, Il
I just checked on my stats and I haven't been active here since 2013 - wow! Sorry for my negligence. I don't do a lot of smoking and usually use my UDS, however I did build a mini-WSM back in time, so I think I'll take it camping with us this summer. So, the question(s) are do you use smoke when camping, what equipment do you use, and favorite meats/recipes?

Absolutely! The mini is perfect for camping. I pull out all the tricks as I normally do when camping as if I were home. My typical camping smokes are tri-tip, pork roast, BBQ Chicken. Everything I need will fit inside the WSM for transport and I use 3 bungee cords from the legs to the lid handle to keep it all together. I do use a BBQ guru to manage temps for me through the cook as I am usually multi-tasking and doing other things than having to babysit. Works awesome.

We (myself and 5 of my buddies) participate in Meatfest every year. Its a 3 day car camping trip. We roll out 2 WSM's and a kettle (and a caja china the year we did a suckling pig). They start smoking late Thursday night and dont stop until Sunday morning.

I've done a number of tri-tips indirect on my 22 1/2 in. Weber but ever in a smoker - what's the technique/recipe?

Oh man! Super simple. I like a simple seasoning SPOG or sometimes Rosemary and Thyme. I set up my Mini WSM coal basket 1/2 full (RO Ridge select) with a couple chunks of maple or oak mixed in with room for 6 starter briquettes. Dump 'em in and assemble the smoker to preheat/stabilize and let the white smoke die down a bit. I like to cook 300-325* generally. Place the tri-tip in the top rack and insert remote therm. Place the lid and open your favorite beverage. Pull at 135IT. It cooks faster than you would think, close to 45 minutes. It gets plenty of smoke flavor in that time. In fact I have backed off wood chunks lately and am liking straight mesquite lump (Lazarri).

I don't know about most people, but we eat better when out camping than we do at home. I plan for weeks ahead, line up a lot of "overt the top" meals, do a lot of the prep work ahead of time, etc.... I would have to say that 75% of our camping gear is cooking gear. In addition to the over the coals mesh that's used for whatever, I take a little smoker, a gas grill, my cowboy wok, an old Coleman propane oven, plenty of cast iron and enough supplies to feed an army. In fact some in the family are only "contingent" on going or not till they find out if I'm going and cooking.

Last edited:
My very first experience with smoking was while camping. I had a leg-less 18" Weber sitting in a wheel rim like a ball in a socket, and a lot of windfall maple the diameter of my wrist. I made a campfire in the kettle and choked it with the top vent, cooking split chicken breasts. I was hooked, and here I am.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky