Butts are the devil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SGMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
P-Town Virginia
I know, I know...

We are on THEIR time when it comes to smoking, but here we are again on hour 13+ of my 2 butts in the MES 30.

These last 20 degrees are going so sloooooooow.

But will be SOOOOOO worth it!

I guess thats the risk I take when smoking on the day before a workday :p

Nvm. I will have lunch for the week :D

Reactions: bassthumb32
I set it at 265 earlier this AM.

Im *almost* questioning my probes - I recently replaced my internal temp probe and its been pegging over 350 (as of now) but the MES 30 probe shows it around 50~ less. I think I have the MES 30 set at a temp of 265... I dropped it earlier but bumped it again)

The meat probes are currently showing 189/190 respectively...

Im counting the minutes til I pull these butts

Boy, that sounds really frustrating.
Do you have one of those little instant read thermometers you could cross check with?

Alternatively you could

1)Grab the bone

2) pull gently

If it comes out, you’re done, and the thermometer is wrong.

If it doesn’t, your smoker is probably not at the temp you think it is at.

Either way, you’ve got to be nearly ready to eat...

Reactions: SGMan
K, its DONE :D :D :D

Maybe its a noob thing, but one thing I notice is the 'gameyness' of how it smells as Im pulling the meat.
The bark is delicious, the meat is good - but it doesn't seem to really 'pop' until you hit it with the finishing sauce/juice and let it rest in the fridge overnight.

Still, the frustration of temp swings, fighting with the pellets going out/flaming up, temp swings, waiting for the perfect temps, etc will all be forgotten over my lunches for the next week +.

Bones pulled easily
full

Barkity Bark Bark!

full

Oh yeah!!
full

You said all the right things. at least the day before I have done 'em as much as 2 weeks before needed. Add a little finishing sauce and refrigerate or freeze 'em. They taste so much better. I actually have smoked one at 200 degrees, took a little over 23 hours but it was the most awesome pulled pork! I always plan a day to cook, I tell everyone it just takes 24 hours to smoke it.

Looks like you did ok though.

Looks really good to me. Well worth the wait, but gameyness? I don't think I've ever experienced that smell with a butt.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: fivetricks
Bwahahaha! Wait till your average 12hr Butt goes 18-20hrs.
Thankfully that normally only happens when you start injecting.
So true, I had one 14 lb butt take 19 hours running at 235* last summer. Now I smoke butts at 265* and if they go past 10 hours I'll bump them up too 275 to finish them.
(no injection)

Looks really good to me. Well worth the wait, but gameyness? I don't think I've ever experienced that smell with a butt.

Point for sure
Chris

LOL I guess that wasn't the best choice of description. (I had a couple of IPAs at that point)
But there is something about the smell of freshly pulled pork that isn't unpleasant, but just not 'primetime' like it is once you get the finisher on it and let it meld in the fridge.

I did 2 butts once in my MES and it was 25.5hrs. Was not cool. Turned out fine but lost a lot of sleep. I remember some poor guy did like 6 butts in one once and was freaking out. I would never do more than 2 and would plan an overnighter for it. I also noticed the "gamey" thing too and found that injecting apple juice totally fixes this. A finishing sauce also works too. You learn a few things doing 50lbs PP for your daughters grad party...

NICE LOOKING BARK! Took me a few tries to nail that (overnight pellicle).

Reactions: SGMan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky