Butt ugly? - Q-view

Discussion in 'Pork' started by guvna, Jun 28, 2008.

1. guvna

guvna Smoking Fanatic

Hey all,
    As some of you know, I smoked a 7 lb. Boston Butt yesterday. It was awesome!!! Here's some pics for your veiwing pleasure.

I cut this myself; I work at Whole Foods Market.

It turned out Great! Here it is after 2.5 hours...

After 6 hours...

After 9 hours of smoke and 4 more in the oven... (162 degrees, then to 200 double-foiled in a 250 degree oven) The sausages (3 hours) had an incredible snap to them!

I used the Minion Method. By the way, don't light your chimney starter on an asphault driveway unless you wan't a hole there. [​IMG]

I finally started getting the hang of it after 5 hours. Total time 13 hours.

2. Looks really tasty there!! Good job! [​IMG]

Bill

3. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

good job, everything looks great

4. moltenone

moltenone Smoking Fanatic

nice lookin' Q Guv.

mark

5. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

She Ain't Butt Ugly. Looks Yummy.

6. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Butt looks great, must have been talkin bout the hole in the driveway![​IMG] I bet there wasn't much TBS comming off that!

7. bb53chevpro

bb53chevpro Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great. Keep up the great smokes.

8. guvna

guvna Smoking Fanatic

thanks for the kind words. the butt was a hit and tasted even better when i chopped it. but i was thinking, if i cut it in half before cooking and rubbing, wouldn't i have gotten alot more surface area and shorter cook time? what's the smallest butt you've ever roasted?
    thanks,
    guv

9. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Looks great congrats low and low is where its at I think you need the big bulk to get the best flavor.

10. guvna

guvna Smoking Fanatic

huh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. coyote

coyote Master of the Pit

"I used the Minion Method. By the way, don't light your chimney starter on an asphault driveway unless you wan't a hole there."

Blaaahaaahaaha! dang I bet there is plenty other places you should not lite it either.. thats funny..

looks like you worked hard to get a great feast to the table..

12. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice, sorry about the hole. The price we pay for good food. [​IMG]

13. joe sixpack

joe sixpack Fire Starter

Welcome! From a fellow newbee!!

The butt looks quite tasty!! [​IMG]

Is that a "new" ECB? I ask because I recently got a "Gourmet" charcoal fired ECB and the coal pan and leg designs on mine are quite different than yours.

14. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Well, dang it..I mist this the other day, but GOOD WORK Guv... I think it deserves POINTS!

15. Low temps, slow cook times. The more time it spends on the grate the more time it has to cook 'in on itself' internally, thus breaking down the connective tissues, etc.

16. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I light my chimney starter on two bricks side by side, keeps the concrete clean... until i spill paint/Q sauce/grease/ on it.

17. smokinrob

smokinrob Newbie

Good job! Looks like you started out with, and finished with a great piece of meat!