Burger grind Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
I’ve heard a lot about making burgers o I’d brisket and how good they are - so I’m gonna give it a go. Gonna buy a small prime packer at Costco and go for it. Any guidance appreciated. Mainly I’m wondering if I just trim off the hard fat and grind away or if there’s a secret so you get a nice beef/fat content for each burger opposed to all the fat ending up in only half the burgers. Any tips appreciated. I like 70-30 burgers personally but I’m not gonna be too picky, just want to make sure they’re somewhat consistent. Thanks in advance .

I just cut off the hard fat and grind the rest. I mix it up a bit if I get what I think is to much fat in one part of it.
You can also add some bacon in if you want. Maybe try grinding some bacon into a little of it and see what you think. Maybe like 3-1 or 4-1 being 3 or 4 parts burger to 1 part bacon. Measure it out before the second grind on that part of the grinding and do it last so you can get all the bacon/beef mix out of the grinder as you take it apart for cleaning

I just cut off the hard fat and grind the rest. I mix it up a bit if I get what I think is to much fat in one part of it.
You can also add some bacon in if you want. Maybe try grinding some bacon into a little of it and see what you think. Maybe like 3-1 or 4-1 being 3 or 4 parts burger to 1 part bacon. Measure it out before the second grind on that part of the grinding and do it last so you can get all the bacon/beef mix out of the grinder as you take it apart for cleaning
Thanks! I’ve never grind burgers before - how many times do you run it through?

Trim the hard far for sure. Some of that hard fat on brisket is worthless. Especially around the deckel. If you get a good mix you should be good.

Reactions: PPG1
Thanks! I’ve never grind burgers before - how many times do you run it through?

Personally I usually grind it with the coarsest grinding plate I have then grind a second time with 1/4" plate. That's just me I'm sure different people do it different ways

Personally I usually grind it with the coarsest grinding plate I have then grind a second time with 1/4" plate. That's just me I'm sure different people do it different ways
Makes sense - thanks

Alot has to do with your grinder. I run mine through twice...once on course then on medium. Usually when I grind a packer brisket I do trim off the hard fat (Deckle) it will not render in a burger. Usually I do not have to add fat when I'm grinding both the point and the flat. Some briskets I have bought have been over trimmed and I had to add some fat, I like to add pork belly for that. I believe after you have done a couple of grinds you will be able to judge it. I learned the hard way...Keep everything(meat equipment...) cold for grinding.

Alot has to do with your grinder. I run mine through twice...once on course then on medium. Usually when I grind a packer brisket I do trim off the hard fat (Deckle) it will not render in a burger. Usually I do not have to add fat when I'm grinding both the point and the flat. Some briskets I have bought have been over trimmed and I had to add some fat, I like to add pork belly for that. I believe after you have done a couple of grinds you will be able to judge it. I learned the hard way...Keep everything(meat equipment...) cold for grinding.
Great advice - thanks. So are you pretty detailed about getting all of the hard fat. Obviously the kernel but what about getting the harder stuff like the seam between the flat and point? Or am I overthinking it and some hard fat here and there won’t matter? I’m assuming you grind chunks of flat and point together to get some fat into the flat pieces?

i say get a choice grade instead of prime. i grind once with medium plate. no hard fat , i like 85%, i get sirloin to make 90%+

Reactions: tallbm
No way, pork fat or bacon doesn't belong in Brisket burger maybe I'll add a chuck roast but never anything pork.

Pork products belong in meatloaf not killer brisket and chuck burger.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I grind through the coarse plate then regrind only 1/2 through the fine plate than mix it together really well.
Save a few pounds of the coarse grind for chili it's flip'in killer.

Without the hard fat (which is inedible) you can't get to 80/20 without adding fat to the mix.
The Costco prime may be the answer, they have way too much fat in the point and the additional fat may average out to your advantage.
Chuck fat (saved up for just this purpose) is the way to go otherwise.
FWIW, the wife and I find brisket burgers to be inferior to ground chuck, and a LOT of work with cutting, trimming, grinding and clean up afterwards.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I ground up a 3# chuck that I just only removed the hard outer fat, which wasn't all that much, and added about a half pound of left over brisket trimmings I had in the freezer. I only ran through once on medium, but probably should have ran it through again. The patties held together, but had to be handled carefully. They sure were juicy though.

I will cut the meat into half inch or so strips the length of the chuck, freeze for about 20-30 min then run through. The strips go through the auger much easier than individual pieces.

Here what I do and it works for me. I remove all hard fat and most eternal fat from briskets and chucks (I don't grind them at the same time, one or the other). I grind it once on the medium plate (i forget the size, the grinder cam with three). the burgers are always juicy and lean. not enough fat has never been an issue nor have I ever added fat. that's just how I do it. I know many people do it differently and I respect all the other methods. I just prefer leaner and its never been a negative.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I did a whole prime brisket from Costco. Tasted great but would trim more fat next time. I love a good 70/30 and this was tough to cook on grill with so much fat! But at $3 a pound, it was definitely worth it. I agree with keeping things cold. I only do one grind as it is such a pain for a second grind for me.

Without the hard fat (which is inedible) you can't get to 80/20 without adding fat to the mix.
The Costco prime may be the answer, they have way too much fat in the point and the additional fat may average out to your advantage.
Chuck fat (saved up for just this purpose) is the way to go otherwise.
FWIW, the wife and I find brisket burgers to be inferior to ground chuck, and a LOT of work with cutting, trimming, grinding and clean up afterwards.
I wondered if brisket flavor was really superior to chuck, or maybe some mix or something to get me the fat content I want. We’ve all eating the big ole juicy 1/2 lb butger at our local pub and went “wtf is in this thing it’s awesome”. I’m trying to find that burger! I do smash burgers as well and high fat is a must. I don’t want to go thru the hassle of brisket burgers tho if people think chuck is just as tasty.

I wondered if brisket flavor was really superior to chuck,
Here is my take. Brisket burgers and slightly more tasty, but the trimming and prepping takes far longer on a brisket than a chuck. Also, the pounds of fat removed makes the price per pound of ground go up. I havent mathed that out, but I usually trim a couple few pounds of fat off a brisket and that is hard to judge at purchase. a nice huge chuck or a couple medium ones - I can see the fat and judge from there. But its never pounds removed its in the ounces. Usually al ittle off the sides and removing the fat vein in the center is about it. Just guessing at the end of the day the cost per pound of ground is close enough to the same. So I just do chucks.

Choice brisket , trimmed as I would if I was going to smoke it whole . One grind thru 1/4 " plate no additions , leaves me with this .
20200419_112612.jpg

Here is my take. Brisket burgers and slightly more tasty, but the trimming and prepping takes far longer on a brisket than a chuck. Also, the pounds of fat removed makes the price per pound of ground go up. I havent mathed that out, but I usually trim a couple few pounds of fat off a brisket and that is hard to judge at purchase. a nice huge chuck or a couple medium ones - I can see the fat and judge from there. But its never pounds removed its in the ounces. Usually al ittle off the sides and removing the fat vein in the center is about it. Just guessing at the end of the day the cost per pound of ground is close enough to the same. So I just do chucks.
Putting cost aside - in your opinion is brisket a superior burger flavor wise.?

Putting cost aside - in your opinion is brisket a superior burger flavor wise.?
by a hair. Ive never done a side by side. Both are great and a million time better than any ground beef you will get at the gro.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky