Bronco being delivered next week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffB1961

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
been lurking through google searches for a bit and decided to join . the better half got me a OJ Longhorn combo for my B-day last sept and i've enjoyed learning to use it . been eyeballing the bronco for a while and waiting for a sale/clearance which i haven't found yet . i was gonna wait till fall/winter for a killer deal but we have a family reunion july 17th and i've been asked to smoke 4 pork butts . my OJ combo can do 2 but 4 is way out of it's ability ..... but i have a excuse to get the bronco now :) . it's scheduled for delivery on the 7th and i'm excited to finally get my hands on it . i'm gonna need a second grate to do 2 butts on top and 2 below . i'm on a tight budget and i've narrowed down to either a second OJ porcelain coated grate or a weber "plated steel" grate . i'm leaning towards the OJ because i've never experienced any durability with anything "plated" ... which do you folks suggest ? i also want to get some BBQ gasket tape so i wont have to worry about grease/moisture leaks where the barrel half's meet so they don't stain my wood deck i built last year . is the OJ tape good stuff ? is lava lock noticeably better ? or is there something else i should consider ? i absolutely don't want to use silicone because it always looks like #2 IMO in pics and videos . i'm also getting the bronco cover because i'm into protecting my investments .

i'm also wanting to get a multi probe wireless temp gauge and i'm liking the inkbird IBT-6XS .... is this something that i should be able to get at least a few years of use out of ? i'm obviously trying to get bang for my buck but i don't want to waste my $ either . thanks for reading and take care folks , Jeff

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from MN. Have you thought about pre cooking the shoulders and warming the up later? A lot of people, including myself, have done it on bigger cooks. It works very well. Just a thought.

Welcome.

I can't give any input about OJ smokers.... but I've been field testing the OJ hanging skewers which can be used in the Bronco. I give them a :emoji_thumbsup: because I like the stand feature, and if you reverse the legs they will sort of nest a small prime rib or pork loin roast.
mU9HLxH.jpg
MBr0Oi4.jpg

gu6TvrQ.jpg

Welcome to the site, been using the IB6x for a couple years now and works well, the grafting goes wonky some times but I don't try to save stuff and just look at short time temp ranges, the alarms are the best for catching naps lol

Reactions: JeffB1961
Welcome to the forums from Mississippi! No input on the cooker but I have the 4 probe Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq and have used it heavily for the last year with no issues, Look forward to your posts.

Jim

Welcome to SMF!
When I read Bronco, I thought you were talking about the new Ford Bronco. I’m thinking seriously about trading in my Mustang & getting one of the new Bronco’s.
Al

...i'm also wanting to get a multi probe wireless temp gauge and i'm liking the inkbird IBT-6XS .... is this something that i should be able to get at least a few years of use out of ? i'm obviously trying to get bang for my buck but i don't want to waste my $ either . thanks for reading and take care folks , Jeff
Welcome from South Carolina to THE Smoking Meat Forum. I can't help you much with the IBT-6XS, but I've been using a Maverick XR-50, https://www.maverickthermometers.com/product/xr-50-remote-bbq-smoker-thermometer/, for several years and it has held up very well. I also bought the 6' probes for the Maverick because the stock 4' probes were too short for my new 48" offset. You won't have that problem with the Bronco. I just recently purchased the Inkbird IBBQ-4T, but haven't used it yet.

Enjoy your new smoker and post up some pictures...

LOL @ Al & 3eye .

i don't nap much but i'm really liking the idea of cooking through the night and being able to check temps when i come back from the potty or wakeing up and can't go back to sleep for a bit . FWIU the bronco can go 10-12 hours on a full load of charcoal when cooking 225-250ish , some folks even say they 15 hours . if i ever need more time i'll just get the bronco pro basket . getting up @ 4am to start the stick burner and having to stay awake to tend it for a late lunch/early dinner isn't as fun as i imagined , LOL .

tks .

I think the OJ Bronco has a lot of cool features. I've cooked on drums for maybe 15 years and really like them. I did super-size my charcoal baskets and don't regret it one bit.

I would go with the porcelain coated grates. Stainless is good option too. Plated grates just don't last as long.

Check out other temp monitors. I've had two different Inkbird units and they were both poorly made and didn't not last a year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky