Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nawrocki 12

Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
How long can I keep my brisket in the garage before it had to be used? It's been almost 2 weeks now..

No info to go on. Please tell me it's in a fridge that's set for 39º. What does the sticker indicate?

Still not much to go on, what temp is the garage? Personally, not vac packed & just sitting in a garage for 2 weeks doesn't draw a picture of being food safe.
It in a detached garagei its cold in ther it's 18 in Michigan now.. ita been there 2 weeks ago when I bought it.. I was gonna smoke it Friday for a chili cookoff Saturday..

Hmm... it's one thing to go forward with this for home use (I personally wouldn't) but quite another if it is going to be served to the public in a cookoff. My suggestion is to buy another brisket for that cookoff.

Your the only one with all the needed crucial specific pieces to this puzzle and there's a few needed missing pieces. So based on packaging, storage, temps, time, varmint/pest, chemical, exhaust fume exposure etc this one should be for your taste buds only, if you pursue it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
It in a detached garagei its cold in ther it's 18 in Michigan now.. ita been there 2 weeks ago when I bought it.. I was gonna smoke it Friday for a chili cookoff Saturday..
Maybe it stayed cold enough that the brisket never thawed; if an unheated garage and the outside temp stayed below freezing that whole time, it might be ok. Personally, I'd be a little uncomfortable about it unless I'd had a max/min recording thermometer in the garage with it, to confirm it stayed cold the whole time.

Your the only one with all the needed crucial specific pieces to this puzzle and there's a few needed missing pieces. So based on packaging, storage, temps, time, varmint/pest, chemical, exhaust fume exposure etc this one should be for your taste buds only, if you pursue it.

Maybe it stayed cold enough that the brisket never thawed; if an unheated garage and the outside temp stayed below freezing that whole time, it might be ok. Personally, I'd be a little uncomfortable about it unless I'd had a max/min recording thermometer in the garage with it, to confirm it stayed cold the whole time.
I am gonna scrap it.. get a new one..

Good call on tossing it. Don't want to take the chance on getting anyone sick. Best of luck with the cook-off, let us know how it turns out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky