Brisket differences???

Discussion in 'Beef' started by foozer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. foozer

foozer Meat Mopper

Can someone explain the difference between these 4 names.

Whole Brisket

Packer Brisket

Flat

Point

Pictures would help a lot if you have them.

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Whole = packer ..... flat + point = packer/whole. Someone posted pix a while back... can't find them....grrr

3. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

4. pitrow

pitrow Smoking Fanatic

I always assumed that whole and packer were different... meaning that whole was a point + a flat, but trimmed up. And a packer was basically the same but not trimmed, so more fat left on. [​IMG]

5. foozer

foozer Meat Mopper

Fatback Joe and Ritchee

Thanks that helps a lot. Fatback thanks for the link that is very helpful. A picture is worth a 1000 words. So they say.

6. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

7. foozer

foozer Meat Mopper

Walking Dude,

Yes I did check out the thread. It was quite interesting. Now when driving through the countryside I find myself looking to see what side the cattle are laying on. I am not sure I believe there can be that much difference between a right and left brisket. I not even sure when in the store I could tell the difference. I think if a Brisket is cooked correctly it shouldn't matter. But, what do I know other than I didn't cook it right the other day.
    I will say that I thinly sliced the brisket last night with my new Weston 12" slicer (what a machine for $100 +). We made sammies out of it with some of Jeff's BBQ sauce and they were delicious.[​IMG]