Breaking in m y new MES 30 with a St Louis Tradition....PORK STEAK!!! --w/Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

i bleed blue

Fire Starter
Original poster
I bought me a new MES 30 on SUnday, 11 November from Cabela's. I seasoned it up on Sunday evening and feel its time to give it a whirl.

Obviously being from st louis only 1 thing should be it's inaugural smoke...

That is a 1.625# pork steak...darn near hogzilla. it like the whole honkin' hog. This will be a reverse sear cook . Taking the pork steak to 150 deg in a 275 deg smoker. After it gets to 150, I will fire up my RED and give it a 1 minute sear on both sides to render the fat and then glaze it with sauce for an additional 10-15 mintues.

Here it is seasoned with kosher salt and cracked black pepper

more to come.

That is a nice thick cut and came out great. I Love Pork Steak or Butt Steak as Dad called them. I was in my late teens before I had a center cut loin Pork Chop. Dad thought they were too dry and flavorless so Mom never bought them. Butt Steaks are good smoked but to this day my fav preparation it is a good rub down with Salt, Pepper and Garlic then Saute and top with a big pile of Caramelized Onions...JJ

Great looking pork steak. I was just thinking about using my newly build uds for some pork steaks and you have now inspired me to do so lol. Also I gottat ask...Do you bleed Kentucky blue?

Great looking pork steak. I was just thinking about using my newly build uds for some pork steaks and you have now inspired me to do so lol. Also I gottat ask...Do you bleed Kentucky blue?
No...I am a 5 year St Louis Blues season ticket holder. my SEC loyalty is to my alma mater Ole Miss...Hotty Toddy

p.s. I see your from Swansea...go to Kenrick's and get the thick cut.

Last edited:
Pork Butts Rule!

They are the best bargain in the meat case.

I generally buy cut up "chunks" my supermarket sells for a little over $2.00 a pound. I fed 4 adults the other night from a $4.00 package of pork. In a bowl I add salt & pepper, paprika. any sort of dried spice or herb depending on the flavor direction (N,S,E,W) you want to go then sear the meat, put into crock pot, add sliced onions, whole cloves of garlic to the saute pan, canned tomato product,deglaze with white wine if you have it or water or stock then whatever is leftover in larder; ( lemon or lime juice, fresh cilantro, tomatillos, miso paste, soy sauce, vinegar, recaito, fresh peppes, hot pepper paste or sauce (Domestic, Asian or Latin), virtually any savoryyou have on hand) then slow cook until fork tender, 2-3 hours. Always simple &delicious!

I generally don't write anything negative but you put a lot of effort into your pork steak and we're all here to learn. I've been cooking for over 35 years, many professionally (CIA Class of 76') & I learn something new every day. Your technique is excellent but the finished product is too "well done" & dry. The USDA now says that pork is safe to @ 145 degrees. Try cooking it less next time (maybe 160F.) it will be jucier & more succulent.

Pork Butts Rule!

They are the best bargain in the meat case.

I generally buy cut up "chunks" my supermarket sells for a little over $2.00 a pound. I fed 4 adults the other night from a $4.00 package of pork. In a bowl I add salt & pepper, paprika. any sort of dried spice or herb depending on the flavor direction (N,S,E,W) you want to go then sear the meat, put into crock pot, add sliced onions, whole cloves of garlic to the saute pan, canned tomato product,deglaze with white wine if you have it or water or stock then whatever is leftover in larder; ( lemon or lime juice, fresh cilantro, tomatillos, miso paste, soy sauce, vinegar, recaito, fresh peppes, hot pepper paste or sauce (Domestic, Asian or Latin), virtually any savoryyou have on hand) then slow cook until fork tender, 2-3 hours. Always simple &delicious!

I generally don't write anything negative but you put a lot of effort into your pork steak and we're all here to learn. I've been cooking for over 35 years, many professionally (CIA Class of 76') & I learn something new every day. Your technique is excellent but the finished product is too "well done" & dry. The USDA now says that pork is safe to @ 145 degrees. Try cooking it less next time (maybe 160F.) it will be jucier & more succulent.
Actually the result was quite tasty and not dry at all. This is not my recipe. I pulled this from "The Grillin Fools", these guys are from ST Louis and have easy recipes that turn out stellar. IN the recipe on their site they whipped up an Adobo sauce...despite being full-on Latino-Cubano I do not like chipotle/adobo sauces so I used a locally made BBQ sauce (Pappy Smokehouse). Essentially a pork steak is a sliced boston butt, so i cooked it to a consistancy for eating as sliced. I accept your help and may try to pull it earlier, however given the thickness the 150 was doable.

Looks-Great.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky