Brand new WSM 14.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motocrash

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2017
Winchester,Va
I've been contemplating a mini build since it's normally just me and my elderly mother and by chance I was on Ebay looking for a pot and shazam!
NIB (open box) for $149.25 Buy it Now,looked to see where it was located and it's in Charlestown WV about a 50 minute all highway drive.Mind made up!I picked it up instead of paying shipping/risking damage and paid cash.Can't wait to fire her up,think i'm gonna do some spatchcocked yardbirds with apple wood for first smoke.

Bill

Thank's Al ! From what I read i'm gonna fall in love with it.I had looked at them in the past and thought $200-$230 meh...
but the price was right and I supported a local businessman like myself.Win - Win

Bill

Holy Fahrenheit! I just boil tested the stock thermometer and it's ONLY ~ 9* low!
Guess I lucked out but i'll still periodically check it in comparison to my TP-08S and see how long it stays consistent.

Holy Fahrenheit! I just boil tested the stock thermometer and it's ONLY ~ 9* low!
Guess I lucked out but i'll still periodically check it in comparison to my TP-08S and see how long it stays consistent.

That's pretty good. Mine is off by quite a bit so I don't use it at all.

Before you fire it up do yourself a favor and wire or weld the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. This will allow you to shake the ash off unspent fuel and reuse on your next cook.

The 14.5" is a fuel miser especially if you use the side light starting method.

http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/side-light-method-for-charcoal-smokers.257071/

Yeah dirt, I was thinking the same thing or just welding some expanded metal around the grate or better yet make an all expanded metal charcoal chamber.

Thanks,Bill

Yeah dirt, I was thinking the same thing or just welding some expanded metal around the grate or better yet make an all expanded metal charcoal chamber.

Thanks,Bill

An expanded metal basket has been on my to do list. For a while. I just welded the supplied ring to the grate. Works okay, but definitely lets more burnable fuel fall through than expanded.

AAAH,cut a circle of expanded,drop it down in the stock ring and weld the ring to the grate.Easy peasy

I have both. basket with a grate sits on a disc of expanded steel raised a couple inches off the bottom of the charcoal pan. charcoal pan has a hole where the ash catcher was and I drilled a few dozen more holes.

Attachments

• IMG_20170803_191925.jpg
    IMG_20170803_191925.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20170705_190331.jpg
    IMG_20170705_190331.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 63
I have an 18.5" and a 22" WSM, both get used at least once a week. What I did was buy a second burn grate for the existing one and put them together in a 90* fashion, then placed the charcoal ring on the top grate and used some stainless steel hose clamps to clamp the whole shebang together. Works like a charm, as was said just pick it up, give it a shake and your're ready to cook. Took me all of 5 minutes to do for each unit. Also holds everything in a centered up position and prevents the ring from sliding around.

Also as a suggestion, I don't know how small that unit is, never seen one, but try mounting some casters on the legs for better portability.

Thanks troutman,another possibilty.It uses the same 10.5 D #7439 charcoal grate as the smokey joe. 7 bucks.

I have an 18.5" and a 22" WSM, both get used at least once a week. What I did was buy a second burn grate for the existing one and put them together in a 90* fashion, then placed the charcoal ring on the top grate and used some stainless steel hose clamps to clamp the whole shebang together. Works like a charm, as was said just pick it up, give it a shake and your're ready to cook. Took me all of 5 minutes to do for each unit. Also holds everything in a centered up position and prevents the ring from sliding around.

Also as a suggestion, I don't know how small that unit is, never seen one, but try mounting some casters on the legs for better portability.
It is small,i'm afraid it would be too tippy.

Fired the petite princess virgin up today at 2:45 with a 7# yardbird halved ,rubbed with mayo,lemon pepper and extra POG on and under skin.1 pre fired chimney of RO dumped in ring with apple chips(ran out of chunks) on top of coals and all vents wide open with water bowl filled.I was debating whether water or no water but went ahead with water.I wanted to get more of a baseline for the future.It maxed at 300* according to TP-08 and then held at 275-280* for 5 hours when I shut her down.Took bird off at 6:45 (4 hrs) IT 185*.Let smoker go an extra hour to monitor temp and see what was left in the charcoal ring.About 1/5 - 1/6th of charcoal left.Should have counted the briquettes but I was like a kid on x-mas firing it up.Remember all vents wide open and pre fired charcoal.This thing is EFFICIENT !
I will not use water for yardbird in the future but I will for long smokes.I can see it holding 225* easy for at least 8 - 10 hrs with the vents choked down.Oh,ambient temp here was 70* Hope this helps with anyone thinking of getting one.

Bill

Last edited:
I love my 14 . Its just fun to cook on . I have a chance to buy a used 22 $ 175 nice shape . Not sure I would use it much .

Yeah chopsaw, I USED to do a lot on my 22 kettle and still use it of course.Works great but I normally feed 2-5 depending on which friends happen by.Firing mostly on weekends.I will smoke more often now with this little warhorse because I will smoke less meat at a time and not have leftovers to tide me over. More smokes, more often = more variety,more experimentation! :cool:

Just made some 3/4" pork chops rubbed with olive oil & Essence and sweet Italian sausages apple smoked for 1.5 hrs @ ~ 240* used water again and they turned out very tender and tasty but a skosh overdone for my tastes.Didn't use a meat probe just cooker probe.I am diggin' this little thing.

Reactions: chopsaw
WSM 14 one year in:
SS tie wired charcoal ring to grate
Cut 1/4" plate and seasoned it like CI to replace waterbowl
316.4 #'s RO Briquettes

The little sweetheart has run like a top every cook.I can fire it with vents preset and hit within 10-15 degrees from my target temp.Not bragging,just saying that it's really had no learning curve.If you can run a kettle,you can run any size WSM.The efficiency/fuel consumption is astounding when the weather is warm.I've had 5 # (full ring load) of RO last 15 hrs on many cooks.The same load when it's below freezing will last 10-12 hrs.When smoking and not catching drippings in a pan,the drippings sizzle/vaporize on the steel plate audibly and the aroma....aaah the aroma.

I got this out of curiosity more than need.
Do I like it and would I buy one again?-Does a one legged duck swim in circles?
I sure as hell am more happy with it.

Did you remove the heat sheild? I don't have a 14, but I heard it limits the space for ash.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky