Bottom Round for Roast Beef Sandwiches

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

exromenyer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Concord, North Carolina
I wanted to go with a cut that wasn't going to break the bank and try some of the suggested seasonings to see if I liked it. Picked up a 1.94 lb roast.

Day 1 - I rubbed Worchester sauce over the bottom round. Couldn't find the THICK type around here, I wonder if it is a Demographics thing or I'm looking in the wrong stores.
20171216_125833.jpg

20171216_185223.jpg

I also tried the McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning, added some of my own garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and finished with rosemary.

I let this sit overnight.

Day 2 - Took the meat out to get it close to room temp (my house isn't that warm) so it only got to about 63 degrees according to the digital javelin.

I put in on the WSM 18.5" with Kingsford and Hickory wood since that is pretty much all I use.

20171217_094951.jpg

20171217_095007.jpg

My guess was this was only going to take around 3 hours with a temp of 225 degrees. My WSM sat around that temp and about 2 hours in I stuck it in the middle with my ET-732 maverick and brought it to a temp of 135 degrees and pulled it. I let it rest.

Day 3 - Took it out of the fridge and was just not stiff enough to run thru the slicer. Put it in the freezer for a few hours firmed it up and sliced it on the Berkel 827.....

20171215_163538.jpg

20171217_135938.jpg

20171217_135953.jpg

Although it is tasty, I'm going to try a better cut next time.. Maybe a Top Round or Tri-Tips but I'm up for suggestions. Would prefer not to brine and inject, I'd like to keep it kind of simple.....

Thanks for looking.......

exromenyer

Looks Great !!:)
Nice Job!--Like.

Don't bother looking for Worcestershire "Thick".
They changed the name.
The same stuff is now called "Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce".

Bear

Reactions: exromenyer
Very nice! Pass the horseradish please.
Top Round will work nicely yet remain relatively inexpensive,get at least Choice if you can.It is my go staple to since it is often on sale around here.

Reactions: exromenyer
Something I've learned about bottom round is that it's actually difficult at times to figure out the grain direction so that you can cut against it. You cut one way and think it's right because you can see some separation, but it's actually the wrong way. It's gotten to the point where I end up slicing some off on a number of sides to try and figure it out. And then, it's not by sight, but rather by feel and taste.

How do you like your Berkel 827 slicer?

I just bought it last Friday and have only used it once for the roast beast. I have about 12lbs of bacon that just came off the smoker (will post another day) so it will get some work. My plan is to smoke a boneless ham over Christmas/New Years for cold cuts....

I got that berkel for an absolute steal, I tried to pass it up, and I couldn't. The only downside, it is a BEAST in the weight dept!!!

I’m looking to buy a meat slicer, and the one you have is real nice. I’m just a novice, so nothing fancy for me!

I think many people on the forum have good things to say about the Chef Choice 615. Being a novice is OK we were ALL there once...Heck I am still bugging people here for directions on stuff because as I am successful with one thing I want to do another...

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I think many people on the forum have good things to say about the Chef Choice 615. Being a novice is OK we were ALL there once...Heck I am still bugging people here for directions on stuff because as I am successful with one thing I want to do another...

RB looks great, I just did a sirloin tip roast (6.5lbs) on the WSM ended up with 4lbs of thin sliced RB pulled it at IT 137*
Yep I have the Chef Choice 615 really like it I have smooth and serrated blades.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky