Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I know this is a old post but just checked it out and have to say thanks for the info. Going to attempt to do a butt and a couple slab of ribs Saturday in my MES 40 (first time trying different items at the same time) and going to follow your procedure as much as I can.

One question, you find it not necessary to inject the butt?

Thanks again for the great post.

Smell Smoke
Thank You!!

This Step by Step was designed to help people forever, so I don't consider any of my Step by Steps as being "Old". Use them at will & comment any time.

I don't inject anything, but if I was to inject anything, a Butt would be the last thing I would inject.

It's just not necessary, and if you want added flavor, just save the foiling juices as I show in this thread, and add the Au Jus back to the pulled Pork as you consume it.

Bear

Hey Y'all,

First time poster, but i've been stalking these threads for a while.  Finally tried smoking an 8.5lb pork butt in my MES 30 yesterday, for the most part following bears instructions.

The results were INCREDIBLE!!

I used honey instead of mustard... I know it sounds crazy, but cooking at low temp didn't burn the honey and the bark was so good I can't put it into words.

I didn't get any pictures, but next time you can expect a Q View from me! 

So, really just wanted to say thank you to Bear for the excellent write up, and I look forward to posting here much more often!

Thanks guys, and nice to meet you!! 

Ok Bear I will be trying this tomorrow. This will be the 1st thing I have ever tried to smoke and will be the 1st thing on my new Akorn. Your step by step is making me not as nervous but I still wondering if I can pull off a good one. I will post some pictures if I think things are going well.

Ok Bear I will be trying this tomorrow. This will be the 1st thing I have ever tried to smoke and will be the 1st thing on my new Akorn. Your step by step is making me not as nervous but I still wondering if I can pull off a good one. I will post some pictures if I think things are going well.
You can do it--No sweat !!

Just follow my lead on this one, since it's your first. Later when you get the hang of it, you can make all the changes you want, if you want any.

Just be Patient, and hang in there.

Bear

Thanks for the guide Bear, it was what I needed to get back into the smoke of things after many years away from the pit. I did 2 bone in butts, one at 8, the other just over 8.5 lbs.

I started at 2 am, and ended up pulling them at 5 pm, but they could have gone another hour to get to 200, and to tenderize a bit more. The bones took just a slight amount of pressure to pull out.

Still pulled great, and still had the family fighting over who would get the left overs.

Before and afters!

Thanks for the guide Bear, it was what I needed to get back into the smoke of things after many years away from the pit. I did 2 bone in butts, one at 8, the other just over 8.5 lbs.

I started at 2 am, and ended up pulling them at 5 pm, but they could have gone another hour to get to 200, and to tenderize a bit more. The bones took just a slight amount of pressure to pull out.

Still pulled great, and still had the family fighting over who would get the left overs.

Before and afters!

Nice Job, Will !!
icon14.gif

That Bark looks outstanding!!
drool.gif
drool.gif

I'm Real glad you like my Step by Steps.
icon14.gif

If you need them in a hurry, they're at the bottom of all my posts.

Bear

Hey Bear have you ever had your shoulders sit longer then a day with the rub on?
No I haven't, but I don't think it would really hurt if you had to for some reason.

I usually put the rub on between 3 hours before up to over night.

Bear

Thanks for answering I was just curious. I usually put mine on sometimes up to 12 hours ahead of time me. I'm gonna cook some this Friday and might try putting some on Wednesday. I doubt it will do anything having that additional time. But I'll be too busy Thursday to be able to mess with the meat so I'm gonna add my rub Wednesday night.

Thanks for answering I was just curious. I usually put mine on sometimes up to 12 hours ahead of time me. I'm gonna cook some this Friday and might try putting some on Wednesday. I doubt it will do anything having that additional time. But I'll be too busy Thursday to be able to mess with the meat so I'm gonna add my rub Wednesday night.
I know some guys don't want to put their rub on more than 3 hours ahead of smoking.

However I often do mine 12 to 15 hours ahead, and I don't see anything changing much from 15 hours to 36 hours.

Go for it.

Bear

Hard to beat pulled pork, Pulled my last bag out of the freezer yesterday  A very tasty supper

Gary

I'm betting that stock will be replenished very shortly.

Bear
Yep,  Now I throw on an extra butt, and divide it up into several packages, vac seal and in the freezer for emergencies

Gary

Yep,  Now I throw on an extra butt, and divide it up into several packages, vac seal and in the freezer for emergencies

Gary
Gotta have Pulled Pork in Freezer for Emergencies!!!

Bear

Bear - I forgot to mention that I used your step-by-step for Pulled Pork to cook for my family reunion about a month ago.  I cooked 3 butts in total on my MES 30.  The only difference is that I did mine from 6 PM to 6 AM with a few early morning wake ups to wrap.  I kept them in a well wrapped cooler for most of the day and they didn't require any reheating before we ate.

I'm still getting comments from family about how good it was.

Bear - I forgot to mention that I used your step-by-step for Pulled Pork to cook for my family reunion about a month ago.  I cooked 3 butts in total on my MES 30.  The only difference is that I did mine from 6 PM to 6 AM with a few early morning wake ups to wrap.  I kept them in a well wrapped cooler for most of the day and they didn't require any reheating before we ate.

I'm still getting comments from family about how good it was.
That's Great !!
icon14.gif

Nice Job!!
drool.gif

Bear

I have done lots of butts always two at a time because that's the way they come from Sam's Club. I always inject them usually with southern comfort, cherry juice and fine ground rub mixed to gather then I rub them with olive oil and rub with grub rub and a spicy sweet rub then I wrap it in cling wrap and rest in in the refrigerator for a day or so. the other one I do the same with an injection of Dixie sauce mixed with fine ground rub and a spicy rub on the out side. In the morning of the smoking I remove them from the refrigerator and let them come up to room temp while I get the 22 1/2 WSM going. I unwrap the buts give them one last coat of rub each and put them on the top gril at 225 degrees I smoke them heavy with a mix of cherry and hickory or pecan until they hit 160 then I put them in foil pans with a 1/4 inch of injection juice and a 1/4 cup of brown sugar, cover them with foil and transfer them to my masterbuilt 40 that has been preheated to 225. I remove them when they hit 205 and not a degree befor. I then dubble wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler packed with towls until the next day. They are still warm the next day. The juices I save and refrigerate to separate the fat. The jucies are mixed back into the pork after pulling or chopping. Extremely tender, jucy and tasty. The WSM does somethings that the MSB can't do smoke rings and the added taste of charcoal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky