Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoking two butts today using this method. Wanna try the Jack Daniels pellets as I have a bag.

Anyone try these for pulled pork? I’m second guessing myself that it might not turn out right.

Smoking two butts today using this method. Wanna try the Jack Daniels pellets as I have a bag.

Anyone try these for pulled pork? I’m second guessing myself that it might not turn out right.

Never tried that flavor Pellets, but I'm sure it will be Awesome!!

Bear

Thanks Bear. We loved you’re recipe as it is. That’s what makes trying something slightly different hard. I know what will turn out great.

Well, one thing about the Jack pellets, they burn very quickly. Only got 8 hrs of smoke from a full tray AMNPS. They did burn completely. Had to reload.

Well, one thing about the Jack pellets, they burn very quickly. Only got 8 hrs of smoke from a full tray AMNPS. They did burn completely. Had to reload.

Well---Better to burn too fast than to keep going out, as long as you're not getting too heavy a smoke while it's burning fast.

Bear

I notice not much mention of "finishing sauce" for PP. What are your thoughts? Also if I plan to use finishing sauce and smoke two days before serving, when is it best to apply sauce?

I notice not much mention of "finishing sauce" for PP. What are your thoughts? Also if I plan to use finishing sauce and smoke two days before serving, when is it best to apply sauce?

I don't call what I do "Finishing Sauce", but I believe I do the same thing with it.
I put my Rub on the Butt before I start, then at 165° I add the Apple Juice to my Pan, and when it's done I put it in a container in the Fridge, to separate the Fat from it. The remnants of the Rub, Meat Juices, and Apple Juice are all mixed in.
Then the next day & I remove the hard fat from the top, and save the Gelled substance. If there are a lot of people to eat it, I'll add it to the meat & stir it in, but usually it's just Mrs Bear & Me, so I add a little bit with each small bowl I heat up for a couple Sammies at a time. That's what I would do if I was using what they call "Finishing Sauce, Too.

Bear

I’ve been using SoFlaQuer’s finishing sauce for the last couple of years. It is fantastic.

I’ve never been a vinegar fan, but I’m telling ya you’ll never even notice it with this finishing sauce. After I let the pork rest for 1.5-2 hours I’ll mix this in while I’m shredding. I pretty much add to taste.

I’ve also noticed the pp tastes even better the next day too.

Give it a try.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/soflaquers-finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.51933/

20180916_182954.jpg
20180916_184501.jpg
Thanks for another awesome Recipe Bear!

I need clarification. Set temp and preheated to 230*, pulled the 10lb butt out of the fridge (let it attempt to come up to room temp by sitting on the counter for an hour), put the cool butt on the smoker and the temp dropped to about 170*. 2 hours later the smoker temp has only managed to get to 205*. The directions call for 230 for a set time.... is that 230* BEFORE or AFTER the meat is put on to cook?

I need clarification. Set temp and preheated to 230*, pulled the 10lb butt out of the fridge (let it attempt to come up to room temp by sitting on the counter for an hour), put the cool butt on the smoker and the temp dropped to about 170*. 2 hours later the smoker temp has only managed to get to 205*. The directions call for 230 for a set time.... is that 230* BEFORE or AFTER the meat is put on to cook?

Seems you're having a problem with your smoker:
That 230° is supposed to be before, during, and after you put the meat in.
I never bring mine up to room temp either. I put it right from the Fridge to the Smoker.
What Smoker do you have?

Bear

Mes30. Both the onboard temp and the mav227 were 230*, put the meat in and onboard is 225* and the mav227 is 205.

I am ASSuming that the important number is the internal meat?

I think I figured it out..

I have a MES30 with interior dimensions of 12x15 and a drip pan of 10x12. The temp above the pan is 205 and 240 below.
Not sure where the thermostat is for the smoker, but if it is below the pan, that would explain everything.

I think I figured it out..

I have a MES30 with interior dimensions of 12x15 and a drip pan of 10x12. The temp above the pan is 205 and 240 below.
Not sure where the thermostat is for the smoker, but if it is below the pan, that would explain everything.

Yup, I had that one time. I had too much in pans, above the temp probe, and it was real hot below the pans & cooling above the pans. You have to have space around the pans & in between if more than 1 on a shelf.

And never go by what the MES says---Go by what your Maverick says. You can always check your Maverick for accuracy with a boiling test.

Bear

Reactions: krzdimond
20190612_080909 (1).jpg just got a 9.5 pound but for pulled pork myself. Yours look really good. Made mine using Bears pork rub and pork butt injection. Recipes are as follows. For the rub use 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup paprika, 2 Tbs. black pepper, 2Tbs each of onion and garlic powder, 2 Tbs chili powder,1teaspoon cayenne pepper. store what you don't use put in airtight container. I also use a pork butt Injection using this recipe. 3/4cup apple juice,1/2 cup water, 1/2cup white sugar, 1/4 cuptable sat,2 Tbs.worcestershre

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky