Boston Butt (Pulled Pork @ 265° Smoker Temp)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear,
What's the reason behind the cutting into the meat in a cross pattern? I've never done that before, so just curious.

Also just to understand....you are collecting the juices in the pan from the entire cook, and then adding apple juice to that for the foiling period? And then that becomes your sauce you add back in once the fat is removed?

I've done something similar, but I wasn't collecting the juice prior to foiling it. I just had the butt on the rack, and then moved it to a pan when it was time to foil. Seemed like in the foiling phase the pork releases a ton of juice. Is it better to be collecting it from the beginning like it seems you did here? Thanks. Always looking for way to perfect my technique!

Last edited:
Bear,
What's the reason behind the cutting into the meat in a cross pattern? I've never done that before, so just curious.
I make the Crossing pattern through the Fat cap, into the red meat, so more smoke & seasoning can get into the meat

Also just to understand....you are collecting the juices in the pan from the entire cook, and then adding apple juice to that for the foiling period? And then that becomes your sauce you add back in once the fat is removed?
Yes, the Apple Juice adds to the volume of the liquid, and Apple goes good with Pork.

I've done something similar, but I wasn't collecting the juice prior to foiling it. I just had the butt on the rack, and then moved it to a pan when it was time to foil. Seemed like in the foiling phase the pork releases a ton of juice. Is it better to be collecting it from the beginning like it seems you did here? Thanks. Always looking for way to perfect my technique!
It doesn't collect much juice before the foiling stage, but I like the Butt in the Pan for the ease of clean-up, and since I put it on a wire cooling rack, being in the Pan doesn't effect the smoke coverage. It also makes it easier at foiling time, because all I have to do is reach in with the foil & wrap it over the top.

Bear

Great looking butt, and thanks for the detailed step by step walkthrough, very helpful for a newbie. I'm currently following your process exactly on my own butt for my very first ever smoking. Should I be concerned at all about the hours that the butt spends between 40°-140° while in the smoker?

Great looking butt, and thanks for the detailed step by step walkthrough, very helpful for a newbie. I'm currently following your process exactly on my own butt for my very first ever smoking. Should I be concerned at all about the hours that the butt spends between 40°-140° while in the smoker?

Thank You!!
If you're using an actual Temp of 265° or higher, you shouldn't have to worry---It will get to 140° in less than 4 hours.
Also if you didn't inject it, and if you waited a couple hours to insert your Temp Probe (breaking the seal), then you don't have to worry, even if it doesn't get to 140° in 4 hours.

Bear

MES is set at 265 using built-in meat probe to verify smoker temp and both are hovering pretty close to 265 so far. No brine or injection, the only thing I did differently from your steps is I did put my external meat probe in while raw before I put the butt in the smoker....I hope that wasn't a critical error.
Also I noticed your butt took about 6 hours to come to 168 and that's when you covered. Mine is already at 165 at 4 hours, should I cover now or wait until the 6 hour mark?

MES is set at 265 using built-in meat probe to verify smoker temp and both are hovering pretty close to 265 so far. No brine or injection, the only thing I did differently from your steps is I did put my external meat probe in while raw before I put the butt in the smoker....I hope that wasn't a critical error.
Also I noticed your butt took about 6 hours to come to 168 and that's when you covered. Mine is already at 165 at 4 hours, should I cover now or wait until the 6 hour mark?

Sorry I'm so late, but:
In my opinion, you should wait until 2 or 3 hours in to insert the meat probe, but if you were at 165° in 4 hours you're good to go. I usually wait until 3 hours in, but 2 should be fine.

Also I don't go by time for when to cover with foil---I do it when the IT gets to about 165°.

You're probably enjoying it by now---How's it taste?!?!

Bear

Makes sense on the meat probe, I'll make sure and do that next time.
I smoked for 6 hours, covered, cooked for another 4hrs, it turned out great. Just fell apart, great smoke flavor but the seasoning was a little lacking, I found it helped to mix in some addition rub after pulling.
It was a great first smoking experience, thanks to this forum and your help... Already trying to decide what's getting smoked next.

Makes sense on the meat probe, I'll make sure and do that next time.
I smoked for 6 hours, covered, cooked for another 4hrs, it turned out great. Just fell apart, great smoke flavor but the seasoning was a little lacking, I found it helped to mix in some addition rub after pulling.
It was a great first smoking experience, thanks to this forum and your help... Already trying to decide what's getting smoked next.

You can always go to the "Well", by checking my "Step by Step" Index (Link below).
All kinds of ideas there.

Bear

There are many ways to Smoke Pulled Pork, But I don’t like to do overnight Smokes, so since this Butt was 9.2 pounds, I figured I’d try to get it done for Supper (about 4 to 5PM).
Knowing I could easily “hold” it if it finishes to early, I got up at 4:15 AM and started my MES 40 at 4:20. It was 32° on my Front Smoking Porch!

I set it at a Temp that would give me a True 265° with my Accurate Maverick ET-732.
I also filled my AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and as always, lit one end.

Meanwhile, while that stuff heats up, I’ll tell you about what happened before Smoking Day:
So a few days earlier, I saw the lowest price I’ve seen in my entire 9 year Smoking History, as "Weis" Market had Pork Butts for 97¢ a pound.
Butts are always at least $2 per pound, and usually $3 or even more!!
Since Mrs Bear was going there anyway, I told her to get me 3 Butts at about 8 lbs each. She brought me 3 butts at about 8, 9, and 10 lbs. (Good Girl)
I decided to Bag & freeze the smaller one for another time, Split the biggest one for Buckboard Bacon, and make some Pulled Pork from the 9.2 pounder.

Prepping the 9.2 pound Butt:
Rinse, pat dry, coat with Yellow Mustard, Apply Rub, put on Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan.
Cover with Plastic Wrap.
Put in Fridge for overnight rest.

Smoking Day: (32° outside @ 4:20 AM)
4:20 AM——Preheat MES at 265°, Fill AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and Light one end.
5:00 AM——Put Meat Pan on Rack #2 of my 6 rack MES, and AMNPS on right end of my bottom rack (pull dumper out 3” & rotate 180°).
8:00 AM——Sterilize my clean Maverick probe with alcohol wipe, and insert probe into center of Roast. IT is 106°.
8:30 AM——IT is 122°.
9:00 AM——IT is 135°.
9:30 AM——IT is 145°.
10:00 AM—-IT is 152°.
10:30 AM—-IT is 160°.
11:00 AM—-IT is 165°.
11:30 AM—-IT is 168°.——Add 8 ounces of Apple Juice, and Cover Butt & Pan with Double Foil.
12:00 PM—-IT is 171°.
1:00 PM——IT is 183°.
1:45 PM——IT is 192°.
2:30 PM——IT is 198°.
3:00 PM——IT is 200°.——Turn heat down to 150°.
4:00 PM——IT is 198°.——Remove from Smoker.

Remove Bone from Roast, Pull Butt, save pan juices in fridge.
Time to eat!!!

Note: I only got 7 hours out of my full AMNPS of Hickory pellets, due to the higher heat than I normally use, and the Wind, but that was actually perfect, just in time for adding Juice & Foiling the Butt.

Thanks for Dropping by!

Bear

Three Little Pigs! About 8, 9, and 10 pounds @ 97¢. Middle one this time:
View attachment 378758

Nice 9.2 pound Pork Butt:
View attachment 378759

Cross-hatch cut into meat:
View attachment 378760

Covered with Yellow Mustard:
View attachment 378761

Covered with Rub, and put on Wire cooling rack, in a Foil Pan:
View attachment 378762

AMNPS filled with Hickory pellets & one end lit:
View attachment 378763

Old Glory shows how Windy the 32° Air was @ 4:30 AM.
View attachment 378764

Butt occupying Rack position #2 of my 6 rack MES 40:
View attachment 378765

Butt ready for Foiling:
View attachment 378766

Fresh from Smoker with nice Bark & lots of Liquid Gold in the pan:
View attachment 378767

Ready to be Pulled. Gotta try Bear Jr's "Bear Claws":
View attachment 378768

Bone came out nice & clean:
View attachment 378769

Pulled Real Easy:
View attachment 378771

Lots of Bark in Bear's first Sammy. Mrs Bear's Special Sauce + Frank's used:
View attachment 378772

First half of Bear's Supper:
View attachment 378773

Second half of Bear's Supper:
View attachment 378774

Packed for Fridge. Left container for Bear & Mrs Bear----Right container is for Bear Jr & His Wife:
View attachment 378775
What rub did you use to get it this dark? Beautiful. Charlie

There are many ways to Smoke Pulled Pork, But I don’t like to do overnight Smokes, so since this Butt was 9.2 pounds, I figured I’d try to get it done for Supper (about 4 to 5PM).
Knowing I could easily “hold” it if it finishes to early, I got up at 4:15 AM and started my MES 40 at 4:20. It was 32° on my Front Smoking Porch!

I set it at a Temp that would give me a True 265° with my Accurate Maverick ET-732.
I also filled my AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and as always, lit one end.

Meanwhile, while that stuff heats up, I’ll tell you about what happened before Smoking Day:
So a few days earlier, I saw the lowest price I’ve seen in my entire 9 year Smoking History, as "Weis" Market had Pork Butts for 97¢ a pound.
Butts are always at least $2 per pound, and usually $3 or even more!!
Since Mrs Bear was going there anyway, I told her to get me 3 Butts at about 8 lbs each. She brought me 3 butts at about 8, 9, and 10 lbs. (Good Girl)
I decided to Bag & freeze the smaller one for another time, Split the biggest one for Buckboard Bacon, and make some Pulled Pork from the 9.2 pounder.

Prepping the 9.2 pound Butt:
Rinse, pat dry, coat with Yellow Mustard, Apply Rub, put on Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan.
Cover with Plastic Wrap.
Put in Fridge for overnight rest.

Smoking Day: (32° outside @ 4:20 AM)
4:20 AM——Preheat MES at 265°, Fill AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and Light one end.
5:00 AM——Put Meat Pan on Rack #2 of my 6 rack MES, and AMNPS on right end of my bottom rack (pull dumper out 3” & rotate 180°).
8:00 AM——Sterilize my clean Maverick probe with alcohol wipe, and insert probe into center of Roast. IT is 106°.
8:30 AM——IT is 122°.
9:00 AM——IT is 135°.
9:30 AM——IT is 145°.
10:00 AM—-IT is 152°.
10:30 AM—-IT is 160°.
11:00 AM—-IT is 165°.
11:30 AM—-IT is 168°.——Add 8 ounces of Apple Juice, and Cover Butt & Pan with Double Foil.
12:00 PM—-IT is 171°.
1:00 PM——IT is 183°.
1:45 PM——IT is 192°.
2:30 PM——IT is 198°.
3:00 PM——IT is 200°.——Turn heat down to 150°.
4:00 PM——IT is 198°.——Remove from Smoker.

Remove Bone from Roast, Pull Butt, save pan juices in fridge.
Time to eat!!!

Note: I only got 7 hours out of my full AMNPS of Hickory pellets, due to the higher heat than I normally use, and the Wind, but that was actually perfect, just in time for adding Juice & Foiling the Butt.

Thanks for Dropping by!

Bear

Three Little Pigs! About 8, 9, and 10 pounds @ 97¢. Middle one this time:
View attachment 378758

Nice 9.2 pound Pork Butt:
View attachment 378759

Cross-hatch cut into meat:
View attachment 378760

Covered with Yellow Mustard:
View attachment 378761

Covered with Rub, and put on Wire cooling rack, in a Foil Pan:
View attachment 378762

AMNPS filled with Hickory pellets & one end lit:
View attachment 378763

Old Glory shows how Windy the 32° Air was @ 4:30 AM.
View attachment 378764

Butt occupying Rack position #2 of my 6 rack MES 40:
View attachment 378765

Butt ready for Foiling:
View attachment 378766

Fresh from Smoker with nice Bark & lots of Liquid Gold in the pan:
View attachment 378767

Ready to be Pulled. Gotta try Bear Jr's "Bear Claws":
View attachment 378768

Bone came out nice & clean:
View attachment 378769

Pulled Real Easy:
View attachment 378771

Lots of Bark in Bear's first Sammy. Mrs Bear's Special Sauce + Frank's used:
View attachment 378772

First half of Bear's Supper:
View attachment 378773

Second half of Bear's Supper:
View attachment 378774

Packed for Fridge. Left container for Bear & Mrs Bear----Right container is for Bear Jr & His Wife:
View attachment 378775
So bear you smoke your butt fat cap up and top of the roast on the cooling rack?

It really does look great, I have to say I am surprised to see the difference in the bark from the "ready to be foiled" picture and the picture just before it is pulled. Usually the bark kind of suffers from the wrap, but it looked like it continued to form while in the foil.
I am overdue for a PP and I will try one like this, a bit hotter and faster than I have done in the past.

Those are great prices! Beautiful Butt and sandwich! I was thinking I needed to do a butt this weekend, you putt me over the edge!

What rub did you use to get it this dark? Beautiful. Charlie

Sorry I missed this, Charlie!!
I never used a set Pork Rub---Always from a friend of mine, or McCormick's, or some other Test stuff.

Bear

So bear you smoke your butt fat cap up and top of the roast on the cooling rack?

Yes, on top, because there is no direct heat in my MES Smoker.
I don't need the fat on the bottom for protection.
That wire rack under it is so the smoke can get to the bottom of the Butt.

Bear

It really does look great, I have to say I am surprised to see the difference in the bark from the "ready to be foiled" picture and the picture just before it is pulled. Usually the bark kind of suffers from the wrap, but it looked like it continued to form while in the foil.
I am overdue for a PP and I will try one like this, a bit hotter and faster than I have done in the past.

It usually doesn't affect it much IMO.

Bear

Those are great prices! Beautiful Butt and sandwich! I was thinking I needed to do a butt this weekend, you putt me over the edge!

Certainly not cheap around here now, but go for it, Jed!!

Bear

Really great to see you out on the Smokin Porch again, Bear. Awesome pulled pork at a great price. Love following your cooks.

Really great to see you out on the Smokin Porch again, Bear. Awesome pulled pork at a great price. Love following your cooks.

Thank You Colin!!
I appreciate that, but this thread is 3 years old.

Bear

Gawd Bear- I ain't talked with you in forever. I'm gonna try your Fat side up on this 99 cents a pound pork butt. If it ain't good--I'm gonna still luv ya'.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky