Beginning of my journey!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokerJake

Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Hey all, my name's Jake and I'm a college student from Chicago just getting into smoking. Last summer I purchased a Pit Boss Pro Series 850 to begin my smoking journey. After some failed briskets and pulled pork, this May I'm hoping to come back stronger. I'm hoping to learn more about trimming, cook times, and temperature.

Welcome to the Forums... You certainly picked the one and only place to get the best advice...

Can you remember the particulars about your failed cooks ? Maybe we can figure out where things went wrong...

Do you have any remote thermometers for reading cook chamber/internal food temps ??

Greetings Jake, welcome to the community. Glad you could join the fold.
As JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 said, a remote thermometer is a must for pork butt and brisket and any overnight cook.

Reactions: SmokerJake
Welcome from Kentucky!

After some failed briskets and pulled pork, this May I'm hoping to come back stronger. I'm hoping to learn more about trimming, cook times, and temperature.
Throw most of what you learnt elsewhere out the window. Cook times mostly don't exist ...... it's done when it's done.

Same goes for cooking to a specific IT with brisket and butt. Some finish at higher IT than others. IT is only a guide as to when to start checking for tenderness with a probe or skewer.

Welcome to the Forums... You certainly picked the one and only place to get the best advice...

Can you remember the particulars about your failed cooks ? Maybe we can figure out where things went wrong...

Do you have any remote thermometers for reading cook chamber/internal food temps ??

Hey there - most of the cooks have turned out dry, and I'm pretty sure this is because I'm pulling them off based on IT versus probe tender. I have a Thermapen which I use, but not a remote thermometer. I haven't smoked over 250F pit temp, but have had some which hit the stall point stupidely fast.

Hey all, my name's Jake and I'm a college student from Chicago just getting into smoking. Last summer I purchased a Pit Boss Pro Series 850 to begin my smoking journey. After some failed briskets and pulled pork, this May I'm hoping to come back stronger. I'm hoping to learn more about trimming, cook times, and temperature.
Welcome from Southcentral PA Jake!

My Son stationed in Alaska just bought a Pitboss 850 as well (it was on sale for $150 off yesterday). You'll have to post your cooks so I can try to help him out in the future!

He said something about caribou, I asked him if it tasted like chicken, lol.

Welcome from Southcentral PA Jake!

My Son stationed in Alaska just bought a Pitboss 850 as well (it was on sale for $150 off yesterday). You'll have to post your cooks so I can try to help him out in the future!

He said something about caribou, I asked him if it tasted like chicken, lol.

Awesome - tell him congrats on finding that for a steal. Will definitely post some upcoming cooks!

Welcome from Kentucky!

Throw most of what you learnt elsewhere out the window. Cook times mostly don't exist ...... it's done when it's done.

Same goes for cooking to a specific IT with brisket and butt. Some finish at higher IT than others. IT is only a guide as to when to start checking for tenderness with a probe or skewer.
was about to say cook times are only a ruff estimae.

Welcome from Kentucky!

was about to say cook times are only a rough estimate and usually not accurate, that is at least my experience while smoking.

Welcome from Mississippi! Look forward to your posts and pics. Ask any questions you may have. We'll do our best to help ya out.

Jim

Welcome from .... Give me a few days and it will be NW Minnesota

Hey there - most of the cooks have turned out dry, and I'm pretty sure this is because I'm pulling them off based on IT versus probe tender. I have a Thermapen which I use, but not a remote thermometer. I haven't smoked over 250F pit temp, but have had some which hit the stall point stupidely fast.
Dry is often an indicator of undercooked meaning the fats and connective tissues have not fully rendered.
A pellet grill (pooper) is basically a wood fired convection oven. That can lend to making the surface of your meats drier. I go to stall then foil cover in a pan and finish in the house oven. Why waste the pellets?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky