Before I cut my drums I needs to design input from the experts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Andrew Leigh

Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Hi,

As explained before, this side of the big pond meat smokers are a rarity, as is the building of these smoker so the internet is currently my only source of info.

I have acquired two stainless steel swimming pool filters that I wish to re-purpose as a smoker. The one filter splits at the top and is 18" in diameter and 27" deep while the other splits in the center and is shorter at about 22" deep.

I have been wrestling with the final design due to the fact that the material is stainless and more difficult to work. Any welding etc. I will need to pay for so needless to say I would like to be very economical in my effort. I believe in sketch 20 times, measure three time and cut once.

Below is a sketch, in the center of the sketch are the two filters ( could not fit the lid on the top one), the red represents the portion to be cut away. Based on the periphery the one should just fit in the other but I am unsure as it is fractions of an inch; the risk that if they do not fit, I would have destroyed what could have been a smaller smoker as the larger filter could do this. At best I could recover by spending money and having someone weld the two together. Expensive. This proposal will be max work and cost to achieve the result on the left.

The sketch on the right requires that I invert the bottom of the smaller filter to use as a firebox (hope the terminology is correct). The presents the least work, keeps the integrity of the larger filter in tact. I anticipate it will be the least efficient of the two configurations? Can the smoker design on the right work and if so what size would the interconnecting hole need to be?

The last option is to use the smaller filter as is. Would it be large enough to smoke a 10lb brisket?

vBv3VDC.png

Regards
Andrew

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky