Beef Wellington

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Beef Wellington.
A bit labor intensive, but well worth it, time well spent.

I've learned that the three primary ingredients are all very important and worth every effort to do right.
The Beef needs to be a center cut of tenderloin for it to be an even thickness and tender as butter.
When you sear the beef have that pan smoking hot and use minimal oil.
The Duxelles need to be minced pretty fine, all the liquid cooked or squeezed out and it should have a thick, pasty consistency.
And lastly you should utilize an All-Butter puff pastry and keep it cold, work fast and re-chill as needed.

I also learned that corners can be cut and many liberties taken with the recipe, and still you can turn out a delicious entree.
Crepes, store bought crepes are great for easing the work load.
Pate is nice, but not absolutely needed.

The Menu
Beef Wellington
Grilled Vegetables
Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
Strawberries-n-Cream Crepes

Beef Wellington
Heavy on the salt-n-pepper.

qQ5cD1w.jpg

In a smoking hot CI pan, get a good sear and then back into the fridge to cool.
You can brush the tenderloin with a good mustard if you wish.

J5ChtGi.jpg

Make your Duxelles.
Saute .5c of minced shallots and 2T of minced garlic in 3T of butter till opaque.
Add in 1lb of minced shrooms, 2T chopped thyme leaves, generously salt them and add .5t white pepper and saute over med-high heat, stirring often till the shrooms release their liquid and then cook off the liquid.
Add a little white wine and cook that off.
Let cool in the fridge.

9mMNp3E.jpg

WMCWQcL.jpg

Jmx3yvZ.jpg

Lay down your crepes.
Add thin layer of pate, or thin sliced dry cured ham like Parma or Prosciutto.
Atop that a thin layer of Duxelles.
Then lastly your tenderloin.
Roll like a burrito, wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least an hour to set.

fAjzgeY.jpg

Roll out your puff pastry with plenty of extra, paint with egg wash.
Place your 'Burrito' on the pastry and cover it, roll it, whatever, ideally you want the seams on the bottom.
Trim the edges close, avoid double layers of pastry dough as much as possible,
Seal the edges well, no holes, and egg wash the whole thing.
Add a lattice work covering if you wish, or just add some decorative slits on the top.

gfTNVV4.jpg

Bu9xbt9.jpg

Into a preheated 400° oven, cook until the IT of the beef is 115°-125°, however done you desire.
Pull it 5°-10° before your target temp as the IT will continue to markedly rise.

6FtOEtd.jpg

Sxmwg5Y.jpg

The Gravy
The gravy gets an honorable mention here, it was really good.

That CI pan you seared the beef in, deglaze it with a bit of white wine.
Add in 4c of beef stock, stir and bring to a slow boil.
Transfer to a small sauce pan.
Strain through a tight sieve or cheesecloth.
Return to a rolling boil and reduce down to about 3/4c.
Add in 3T of butter.
Season with a pinch of black pepper.
Add enough corn starch/water mix to attain your desired thickness.

The Finale

ntyJAL6.jpg

Strawberries-n-Cream Crepes
So easy and so good.

zt1BDdX.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Chili!! The beef Wellington is done just perfectly. The whole meal and dessert is money!! The plating is phenomenal , following your plating and pictures over the last year or so has really helped me elevate mine.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Outstanding! A wonderful looking meal and awesome plating.

Ryan

Good looking meal! Looks pretty perfect to me.
Beautiful Chili!! The beef Wellington is done just perfectly. The whole meal and dessert is money!! The plating is phenomenal , following your plating and pictures over the last year or so has really helped me elevate mine.
Looks awesome! Beautiful work.
Outstanding! A wonderful looking meal and awesome plating.

Ryan
Thanks peeps, it's all very much appreciated, and y'all are too kind.
Love my food and food pRon.

Holy crap that looks awesome! At first I thought it was a missed thread from Valentines Day because of the heart shaped gravy! :emoji_wink:

But it looks tasty as all hell and I’d put out for some of that.

Like!

Looks great, I don't dare show my wife all the great stuff you cook, I never would get time to hunt or fish lol. thanks for sharing.

1 word - Wow
Holy crap that looks awesome! At first I thought it was a missed thread from Valentines Day because of the heart shaped gravy! :emoji_wink:

But it looks tasty as all hell and I’d put out for some of that.

Like!
Looks great, I don't dare show my wife all the great stuff you cook, I never would get time to hunt or fish lol. thanks for sharing.
Yum. The Wellington looks superb, great method, thanks for sharing. Bookmarked this one.
My best Elvis impersonation, "Thank ya, thank ya very much!"
Thank y'all very much and "WOW!", so many replies and likes.

Daaaang! Thats some meal chille! Lots of love went into that one. Everything looks amaizing!

John, that is absolutely stellar!! A simply gorgeous meal. A lot of what you showcase leans more toward an elevated comfort food approach. This one has an air of elegance that you just can't overlook and it is breathtaking. Excellent step by step of the process and as always, a magnificent presentation. Fantastic job my friend!!

Wowed once again,
Robert

That is awesome! Reminds me of my mom's Christmas meals!

John, that is absolutely stellar!! A simply gorgeous meal. A lot of what you showcase leans more toward an elevated comfort food approach. This one has an air of elegance that you just can't overlook and it is breathtaking. Excellent step by step of the process and as always, a magnificent presentation. Fantastic job my friend!!

Wowed once again,
Robert
Thanks Robert,
it's all comfort food to me, the cooking, the pics and of course the eating, but most of all settling into my recliner after a good feed.
I could certainly see you doing this one Zach. Don't know that I'd have the patience for it but you...oh heck yes!!

Robert
It is for sure an impressive dish, and surprisingly to most people not that hard once they give it a go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky