beef snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
so ... i'm googling recipes for snack sticks. i'm finding many results that include prague powder but no mention of time needed to cure. is there some magic with these that i'm not aware of? only 1 out of 10 had an ingredient that'd activate the nitrites right away.

in related news - i'm looking for a good snack stick recipe that'd work with beef... since ... i have that laying around... anyone have a recipe laying around that they really like?

Mixing in prague powder with spices into ground meat doesn't take as long to cure as whole muscle meat. It's been a minute since I've made them, but I seem to recall no longer than a day or two. I'm sure our members with more recent experience can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

no mention of time needed to cure.
Hold over night and you should be fine . I've gone up to 3 days , and have also gone right into the smoker . I use sodium erythorbate for other reasons than speeding up the cure .

To your question . I would mix and stuff the sticks . Hold over night in a fridge that's between 36 and 40 degrees . Keep bagged or covered so the surface doesn't dry out .
Next day , pre smoke , get them out and hang at room temp for 60 minutes to warm up and dry the surface . Then smoke as you like .

From my saved files:
Really no need to wait before smoking other then getting the favors to blend together. I have mixed, stuffed them and smoked them all in the same day.

Ingredients:

10 Pound Recipe
10 pound lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% beef or pork fat.)
2 tsp Instacure #1 (aka Pink salt; Prague Powder #1; Modern Cure #1; T.C.M.)
1 Tbsp Black pepper
1 Tbsp Red chili pepper (I used chipotle)
1 Tbsp Garlic salt
1 Tbsp Accent (optional)
2 tsp Cayenne pepper (add more for additional heat)
1 tsp Paprika
1-1/2 Tbsp Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)

1 Cup water
6 Tbsp Salt
1-1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)

2 Tbsp encapsulated citric acid (optional)
Sheep or collagen casings 17 – 19mm

5 Pound Recipe
5 pounds of lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% 5 pounds of lean burger (85/15) or venison (If using venison, add 10-15% beef or pork fat.)
1 tsp Instacure #1 (aka Pink salt; Prague Powder #1; Modern Cure #1; T.C.M.)
1-1/2 tsp Black pepper
1-1/2 tsp Red chili epper (I used chipotle)
1-1/2 tsp Garlic salt
2 tsp. Accent (optional)
1 tsp Cayenne pepper (add more for additional heat)
1/2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)

1/2 Cup cold water
3 Tbsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)

1 Tbsp encapsulated citric acid (optional)
Sheep or collagen casings 17 – 19mm

Directions:

In a small bowl mix hot sauce, sugar, water and salt together. Stir until sugar and water are completely dissolved.

In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the dry ingredients except the encapsulated citric acid. Stir until well blended.

Combine wet and dry ingredients with meat and mix well.

Just before stuffing mix in encapsulated citric acid, and stuff mixture into prepared casings. Arrange sausage on racks, and place into the Smoker.

Untitled..jpg

Apply smoke for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at a cabinet temperature of 150°F-160°F. Then bump the cabinet temperate up to 175°F until internal temperature measures 152°F. At this temperature you will have a fresh snake stick style. Or you can continue until you reach your desired dryness or dehydrate further for Slim Jim like dryness.

Comment by Name of NePaSmoker: This is a good stick recipe for the beginner stick maker.

so ... i'm googling recipes for snack sticks. i'm finding many results that include prague powder but no mention of time needed to cure. is there some magic with these that i'm not aware of? only 1 out of 10 had an ingredient that'd activate the nitrites right away.

in related news - i'm looking for a good snack stick recipe that'd work with beef... since ... i have that laying around... anyone have a recipe laying around that they really like?
Hopefully this is helpful. Picture 1 is directions from our snack stick seasoning, and picture two is a clip from "That perfect batch) by Clem Stechelin.

Attachments

• IMG-8184.jpg
    IMG-8184.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG-8185.jpg
    IMG-8185.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 215
i'm looking for a good snack stick recipe that'd work with beef.
Owens BBQ has some really good seasoning mixes . The seasoning already includes sodium erythorbate . Speeds up the cure and sets the color / adds to the texture .
They also break down the amounts for smaller batches . All the way to per pound instructions . I buy most all of my seasonings from Owens . Great people too .
Here's a link if you're interested .

• Love
Reactions: mossymo
I have started to do a cold smoke for 8-12 hours, then doing a hot water bath to bring to IT. So far my product has been excellent. Most I do at one time is 10 pounds. More then enough for my needs.

Owens BBQ has some really good seasoning mixes . The seasoning already includes sodium erythorbate . Speeds up the cure and sets the color / adds to the texture .
They also break down the amounts for smaller batches . All the way to per pound instructions . I buy most all of my seasonings from Owens . Great people too .
Here's a link if you're interested .
oh. snap. these folks are going to get so much of my money. philly stick seasoning? i'm likely to stop eating regular food. for real.

philly stick seasoning?
I've used the regular stick seasoning and the spicy . I buy mostly SS and fresh , but I'll use those to do sticks . Garlic bologna makes a good stick with some adds .

You're in Collinsville . Have you been to Novacich's meat market ?
He's on Collinsville road . I used to have a guy I worked with bring me Pete's rub . It's really good . I need to take a ride over there some day and stock up .

I've used the regular stick seasoning and the spicy . I buy mostly SS and fresh , but I'll use those to do sticks . Garlic bologna makes a good stick with some adds .

You're in Collinsville . Have you been to Novacich's meat market ?
He's on Collinsville road . I used to have a guy I worked with bring me Pete's rub . It's really good . I need to take a ride over there some day and stock up .
yea, last time i went to novacich's they overcharged me for some whole eye of round. good snack sticks though, and the folks there are always nice. they don't have the selection or the prices that Troy foods does though. troy foods staff are a little rough around the edges till you get to know them, but they have short ribs and pork belly for very reasonable.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky