Beef Navel Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I just got 3 untrimmed beef navels for pastrami. I trimmed one and it is curing now. I plan curing for 14 days.

What temp should I take the navel to in the smoker?

The plan is to use a meat slicer to cut it thin for sandwich meat. I was thinking of smoking it to 160, let it rest, then steam on smoker to an internal of 200.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks! IMG_20221009_131432045.jpg IMG_20221009_131432045.jpg IMG_20221009_133559294.jpg IMG_20221009_134444893.jpg IMG_20221009_141404207.jpg IMG_20221009_141421972.jpg

Last edited:
Someone correct me here if I'm off....but isn't beef navel what they use for pastrami at Katz?
From everything I have seen, it looks like Katz's Deli uses brisket.... I was watching a few videos on YouTube and looking at pictures customers took of their sandwiches and they all look like brisket... This is all coming from a guy that has never been there (me) and I may be wrong....

I think the ideal temp for bacon is in the 150s.... That maximizes the amount of fat and collagen left behind to be rendered when you fry it for breakfast..... But I am thinking that I want a more rendered fat and collagen version, like brisket (there is just so much fat on beef belly) it seems like it would be too rich if not rendered... I think I am going to treat it like a brisket when I smoke it this weekend..... But take it to 195 to maximize it's "structural integrity" so I can still run it through slicer.

I have two more 20 lbs bellies to test it on if this experiment is a bust.

I will post results.

Last edited:
From everything I have seen, it looks like Katz's Deli uses brisket.... I was watching a few videos on YouTube and looking at pictures customers took of their sandwiches and they all look like brisket... This is all coming from a guy that has never been there (me) and I may be wrong....

I think the ideal temp for bacon is in the 150s.... That maximizes the amount of fat and collagen left behind to be rendered when you fry it for breakfast..... But I am thinking that I want a more rendered fat and collagen version, like brisket (there is just so much fat on beef belly) it seems like it would be too rich if not rendered... I think I am going to treat it like a brisket when I smoke it this weekend..... But take it to 195 to maximize it's "structural integrity" so I can still run it through slicer.

I have two more 20 lbs bellies to test it on if this experiment is a bust.

I will post results.

They use brisket for corned beef and navel for pastrami
They basically cook their pastrami for 3-4 days..... Plus, it is so tender the cutters have to use special techniques to slice it and not shred it.... That tells me it's pre- resting temp is likely over 208..... By that logic, I think if I bring the navel to 200 I will be able to slice in my deli slicer..... Especially after a cooling off period in my fridge.

Do you think that will work?

This will be fun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky