Beef brisket goodness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philpom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Texas
Post oak and lots of time along with jalapeno salt, garlic and black pepper (and a touch of ground coffee). Always takes eternity but oh man.... this was a 15 pound packer.

20230904_201658_resized.jpg

20230904_201735.jpg

20230904_201506.jpg

20230904_110302.jpg

I like to separate the flat from the point. The flat is perfect for slicing and they finish at different times regardless. Spritzed with apple cider vinegar regularly. The bark is phenomenal.

The point is actually still on, I'll shred that and vacuum sealed it in 1 pound bags for another day.

Served with cornbread and pintos.

Happy Labor Day folks!

Last edited:
That bark looks amazing. Did you wrap it?
Thank you!

I wrapped the point for about the last 2 hours, mostly because it was getting late. I did not wrap the flat (pictured in the original post). Spritzing regularly with the apple cider vinegar helps build the bark. Using coarse ground rub also goes a long way for the bark.

Post oak and lots of time along with jalapeno salt, garlic and black pepper (and a touch of ground coffee). Always takes eternity but oh man.... this was a 15 pound packer.

View attachment 675420
View attachment 675421
View attachment 675422
View attachment 675423

I like to separate the flat from the point. The flat is perfect for slicing and they finish at different times regardless. Spritzed with apple cider vinegar regularly. The bark is phenomenal.

The point is actually still on, I'll shred that and vacuum sealed it in 1 pound bags for another day.

Happy Labor Day folks!
Nice finished product. Ever do burnt ends wtih the point?

Reactions: philpom
Nice finished product. Ever do burnt ends wtih the point?
Thank you!

While I like burnt ends, when I do a smoke like this, or most of the time my end goal is a meal or 2 for that evening and week but to store back the rest of the meat in 1 pound packs for future meals. The meal could be anything from tacos, to bbq sammies, or even salad/1 pan meal/brisket queso/snacking etc. With that in mind I keep the meat as baseline as possible for the most universal application.

I'm boring!

That is one beautiful brisket. You mention the amount of time it takes but looking at what you ended up with, I'd say it was well worth it :emoji_wink: Some valuable brisket lessons to be learned from this one.

One question though:
1694024910349.png

What's in the can?? Inquiring minds want to know :emoji_laughing:

Robert

That is one beautiful brisket. You mention the amount of time it takes but looking at what you ended up with, I'd say it was well worth it :emoji_wink: Some valuable brisket lessons to be learned from this one.

One question though:
View attachment 675565
What's in the can?? Inquiring minds want to know :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thank you!

Unlike a pork butt, Beef brisket is in my opinion one of those cuts you just can't turbo through.

What do you suspect is in the can? Only 1 one way to rock a day with the offset....

20230611_141958.jpg

philpom philpom beauty of a brisket! Beauty of a cold beer! Should have entered the Labor Day throw down! I think this gets LOTS of votes.

Fred

View attachment 675423

Happy Labor Day folks!
Nice looking meat.

I split a packer brisket [for the first time] and smoked the point and flat separately this past weekend, trying to cut down a bit on the length of time to smoke. I found that the flat, although 20-30% heavier than the point, was done long before the point - my guess is that's because the point is thicker.

I had a probe in both cuts and the flat didn't seem to hit a stall - temp kept rising consistently throughout the cook.

The edges of the flat were a bit dry (probably could have spritzed a bit more throughout the smoke), but still tasty.

Do you have any advice on smoking these two pieces of meat separately?

OKJ Reverse Offset smoker, used oak wood

Thanks.

Nice looking meat.

I split a packer brisket [for the first time] and smoked the point and flat separately this past weekend, trying to cut down a bit on the length of time to smoke. I found that the flat, although 20-30% heavier than the point, was done long before the point - my guess is that's because the point is thicker.

I had a probe in both cuts and the flat didn't seem to hit a stall - temp kept rising consistently throughout the cook.

The edges of the flat were a bit dry (probably could have spritzed a bit more throughout the smoke), but still tasty.

Do you have any advice on smoking these two pieces of meat separately?

OKJ Reverse Offset smoker, used oak wood

Thanks.
It's hard to say, every packer is different. This 1 was 15 lbs 7 oz, the bigger the better.

Place the point towards the firebox but not super close.

When I cut the flat off I don't technically remove the entire muscle group known as the flat. I eyeball the brisket and cut the flat at a point that gives me the most consistently sized flat piece of beef, same or similar thickness. Can tell in my cook how small the flat looks. Place it on the far side of the point or in the coolest part of your smoker.

When I trim a choice packer I leave more fat on it than what you might typically see on a random youtube video where they are likely tri.ming a prime brisket.

When selecting a packer look for 2 key things. The thickest flat you can find and flop the brisket around , bend it and make sure it has decent flex throughout. If not then it's got a very thick vein of fat running through it.

Spritz or mop often.

Use a water pan.

Burn your wood in a pit and shovel what you need in to the smoker to better regulate the temp and reduce wild swings.

I hope any or all of this is helpful to you.

Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky