Beef Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I agree---I use a little seasoning on mine. My main point was that Beef alone will never taste like Bacon, no matter what you do to it---It will always taste like Beef. To think that it could taste like Bacon could be disappointing. It will be good, but completely different than Pork Bacon. The only way that I know of to get a Bacon flavor, while including Beef is the mix I showed above. Curley's sells the mix, and it ends up tasting Great. Curley's calls it "Venison Bacon". Anybody old enough to remember a product called "Sizzlean" knows what it tastes like. I used to love it !!!

Bear
Hey now since when does knowing what Sizzlean tastes like make you old lmao. Ok im old i remember it.

When using TQ do i need to add salt or is there enough salt in it?

Hey now since when does knowing what Sizzlean tastes like make you old lmao. Ok im old i remember it.

When using TQ do i need to add salt or is there enough salt in it?
Never add salt when using TQ, unless you're using the recommended 1/2 TBS per pound of ground meat. Once you make some of that, you might want to add a little bit to your own taste.

So when using 1 TBS of TQ per pound of whole meat, don't add any Salt. I recommend between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound with your TQ (I prefer Brown Sugar). I just grab some with my hand that's in that neighborhood, and chuck it in.

Bear

Never add salt when using TQ, unless you're using the recommended 1/2 TBS per pound of ground meat. Once you make some of that, you might want to add a little bit to your own taste.

So when using 1 TBS of TQ per pound of whole meat, don't add any Salt. I recommend between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound with your TQ (I prefer Brown Sugar). I just grab some with my hand that's in that neighborhood, and chuck it in.

Bear
So I just slapped the Cure on, I added ground peppercorn blend(4 different peppercorns in the grinder), a touch of Cayenne pepper,I used 2 tablespoons of sugar per lb(not brown sugar but not white either, its a light golden sugar made by juicing sugarcane and letting the water evaporate out), and i did add a LITTLE bit of Himalayan Pink Salt(not the pink cure salt closer to sea salt just pink in color because of minerals in it).

Its a 3lb Slab so i figure ill let it cure 8 days or so.

Uuuuuhhh I'm pretty this applies.....

worthless.gif

Just curious what's it's looking like with the cure and spices loaded on :)

Last edited:
I put in  Second Slab of the beef today only I am wet Curing it and I added a bunch of Asian themed spices to it. Completely covered in Spiced Cure Water. I am having way to much fun with this already!

(not brown sugar but not white either, its a light golden sugar made by juicing sugarcane and letting the water evaporate out)
"white" sugar should be light golden colored but it is over processed and bleached and ends up stark white to please the consumers. I buy "natural" sugar and it is a light golden color but there is not taste or usage difference from white sugar.

"white" sugar should be light golden colored but it is over processed and bleached and ends up stark white to please the consumers. I buy "natural" sugar and it is a light golden color but there is not taste or usage difference from white sugar.
I think this stuff is a bit darker than natural but not quite light brown sugar, it has no processing at all other than juicing the sugar cane, so the molasses is still in it in the natural form as apposed to concentrated molasses.

I think this stuff is a bit darker than natural but not quite light brown sugar, it has no processing at all other than juicing the sugar cane, so the molasses is still in it in the natural form as apposed to concentrated molasses.
Hmm that's really interesting. I am going to have to look into that. Thanks

Last edited:

LOL---I might not be the best guy to ask that question to, because I use Hickory for about 95% of my Smoking, However what you're doing would definitely benefit from Hickory. IMHO

Bear

LOL---I might not be the best guy to ask that question to, because I use Hickory for about 95% of my Smoking, However what you're doing would definitely benefit from Hickory. IMHO

Bear

My damn smoker grill aint here yet lol
Well they screwed up and send a damn gass grill instead of a wood smoker. So i had to return it and order a different smoker, how good is the quality on the Landmann Brand Charcoal Grill w/Smoker? Bear you think Hickory is best? I was honestly thinking of using Maple/mesquite.

So all this meat has been curing for 11 days thus far, and due to the screw up ordering my grill,i wont be able to smoke the cured meat until AFTER the 26th, I have to get the grill seal up any leaks cure the grill up, and then FINALLY smoke the meat, do you guys think its safe to use after curing it this long?

Well they screwed up and send a damn gass grill instead of a wood smoker. So i had to return it and order a different smoker, how good is the quality on the Landmann Brand Charcoal Grill w/Smoker? Bear you think Hickory is best? I was honestly thinking of using Maple/mesquite.
I don't notice a whole lot of difference in most smoke other than strength, and for me Mesquite is too strong, and most smoke is a little on the weak side to my taste. However Hickory is just right, and the Hickory Pellets work Great for me in my AMNPS. If Cherry would work like Hickory, I would use Cherry more often.

Bear

So all this meat has been curing for 11 days thus far, and due to the screw up ordering my grill,i wont be able to smoke the cured meat until AFTER the 26th, I have to get the grill seal up any leaks cure the grill up, and then FINALLY smoke the meat, do you guys think its safe to use after curing it this long?
I never cured anything that long, but another 10 days isn't going to ruin it. I would recommend keeping it in cure until about 3 days before smoking time. Then rinse it off good & fridge it for the rest of that time to equalize the flavor. Then I would take a few slices & do a Salt fry test to make sure it's not too salty, because when Dry curing it is possible to cure too long. If you find it is too salty at that time, you'll be able to soak it to eliminate the extra salt flavor.

Bear

I don't notice a whole lot of difference in most smoke other than strength, and for me Mesquite is too strong, and most smoke is a little on the weak side to my taste. However Hickory is just right, and the Hickory Pellets work Great for me in my AMNPS. If Cherry would work like Hickory, I would use Cherry more often.

Bear

I never cured anything that long, but another 10 days isn't going to ruin it. I would recommend keeping it in cure until about 3 days before smoking time. Then rinse it off good & fridge it for the rest of that time to equalize the flavor. Then I would take a few slices & do a Salt fry test to make sure it's not too salty, because when Dry curing it is possible to cure too long. If you find it is too salty at that time, you'll be able to soak it to eliminate the extra salt flavor.

Bear
how good is the quality on the Landmann Brand Charcoal Grill w/Smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky