Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just picked up a 7.75lb Boston butt from Bj's. Gonna smoke it per instructions on page 1 on my Chargriller Duo. So far I've done bacon-wrapped chicken breast and St.Louis ribs. This will be my first long smoke. I wanted to eat around 6 and I was thinking of tossing it on around 5:30am. Do y'all think that'll be a good start time? I'll post progress along the way.

With a firebox I have found that if the temp in the firebox is 800 degrees then the cooking chamber is like 1/3 that temp. So that like 235. Which is perfect
But you gotta keep an eye on it .. now if you don't have a firebox , you wanna keep the charcoal on the right side and the but on the left.. you gotta maintain
225-270 for the entire smoke.. so remove the left grate so you can add coal.

I do have the firebox. I also sealed around Main chamber with high temp gasket and silicone. Also put in baffle plate (see below). Last smoke I did I just used charcoal briquettes with a couple hunks of hickory every now and then. This time I'm using lump charcoal figuring it'll last longer and burn a little hotter. View media item 540906

@ lemans, your in a WSM owners club online? I saw you mention you picked up those Webers cheap.. I about spit my coffee out when I saw what you paid for those. Lol.. good deal.

Last edited:
Ya know. Every piece of meat is different.. I did a 14 brisket last year and started at 1 am. It was done at 6 am. Had it for breakfast. Eggs and brisket..

I did my first butt last weekend ... 8 lbs at 225 and it took 14 HOURS! [emoji]128563[/emoji]
That why I'm leaning on starting it around 5. I figure if it finishes early I could always let it rest wrapped and in the cooler for at least 2 maybe 3 hrs. I'll keep the digital probe in and make sure it doesn't drop to the dreaded 140F.

Got the butt on at 5:15. Temp is holding at about 235. Got my 1/2 apple, 1/2 Captan Morgan spray ready to start spritzing. Hoping she turns out good.

View media item 540959
3 hours in and the internal temp is 112. It's been holding pretty steady between 235-245. Spiked a couple times to low 250's when I've added more fuel to the coals. Maybe there for 10 minutes before settling back to 240 range.

View media item 540966
8 hours in at a steady 235-245 and it's at 157 IT. Gonna hold off foiling until it hits the 165 mark.

View media item 541000
For some reason my digital probe wasn't reading above 170. Stuck the old fashioned regular meat thermometer in and it was at 206. Still came out pretty good.

View media item 541037
Literally fell apart

View media item 541038

Last edited:
Try it with a Buttermilk slaw.  You'll never look back.  I prefer a kaiser roll.

Can anyone tell me why Mesquite is not recommend to smoke pork with? The Traeger pellet guide doesn't list as a good combination.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky