Bacon Shortage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wild hog infestations plague many areas of the country. They are mean, ill tempered and hard to catch How many of my ex-(xxxx) did you know??and still the nature lovers plead for their freedom. If pork prices go way up, it will become a self solving problem. I hope wild turkeys are next. ( the bird not the bottle) "Cook Free or Die"

LOL couldn't resist..

Just checked prices....St Louis ribs $0.10 cheaper than clean bellies. Just not right.

Looks like I have a way to justify buying a bow....... The boss said we could not do it right now......... Well from the way it may go with meat prices.....if she wants meat on the table we may not have a choice.......we have pleanty wild hogs around here and some turkeys too......not going to say what we have around here would classify as dear in some parts, but it is meat....
From what I've heard, it would take a lot of brass to go after a wild hog with a bow.  Those suckers look mean.

I just hope they don't establish themselves out here.  I don't know how they'd handle the arid climate, but I don't even want to imagine what it would do to some of the areas I hunt elk if we had wild hogs tearing up the wallows.

My X-boss who hunts on vacation time has told me that wild boar hunters, regardless of their weapon of choice, always carry a large caliber side arm. When a angry boar comes in close they are a fast moving terror.

PS Two more things he had to say about wild boar hunting, 1. Always keep in mind the location of the nearest climbable tree.

2,Discretion is the better part of valor

I will admit that I have never hunted wild boar. I have a problem with hunting life forms that would be just as likely to hunt me when aggravated.

Last edited:
Picked up 13 lbs of frozen, rind-on pork belly last night @ $2.69 a pound at Cash & Carry. That's still a good price up here.

Waiting for next wednesday to pick up my bellies is getting hard!  I am still trying to decide if I am going to use a dry cure like I normally do or try a wet cure this time.  May do a little of both!  Starting to get the shakes!!!

Bigfish

1/2 a case of belly's in the freezer and just ordered 3 more cases of fresh, trimmed belly's at $1.97 a pound, should have them next week.

Man that's a great price...lucky you! Cheapest I can get them are $2.99 lb
Marty and I get ours from the same place, but I only ordered one case so mine are 2.09 a pound.  Of course, I am picking mine up before him next week....  May have to change my name for a day.... 
devil.gif

I heard on the news this morning that we should NOT see a shortage here in the states.  That there is plenty of frozen pork in storage to keep the market happy.  Although they did say we could see an increase of about 10 cents a pound next year. 

I got to admit.. I was thinking about stocking up..

Aaron.

I heard on the news this morning that we should NOT see a shortage here in the states.  That there is plenty of frozen pork in storage to keep the market happy.  Although they did say we could see an increase of about 10 cents a pound next year. 

I got to admit.. I was thinking about stocking up..

Aaron.
I wish I would have known that before I dumped my life savings into pork belly futures.

So apparently we have not only a strategic oil reserve, but also a strategic bacon reserve?  Take that, Mayans!!

From what I've heard, it would take a lot of brass to go after a wild hog with a bow.  Those suckers look mean.

I just hope they don't establish themselves out here.  I don't know how they'd handle the arid climate, but I don't even want to imagine what it would do to some of the areas I hunt elk if we had wild hogs tearing up the wallows.
They can be a bit temper mental. I was hunting as a kid with friend and his dad. His dad went to follow some tracks and told us to stay where we were. We herd something moving in the palms behind us. We thought it was his dad messing with us till the 200# boar come from the palms. Needless to say when he snorted/grunted we did the worse thing we could. We ran........ luckily we made it to a tree before he did. We both jumped into it screaming like no ones business. His dad had to shoot it twice to drop it. The first one hit him and he looked back at his dad grunted and then looked at us. Just a little attitude....

When I mentioned to my wife about the bow. She looked at me and said either the bow or your RF smoker. I am waiting on the funds for the material for my smoker..... I figure I can barter my smoking services for a percentage of the meat. Much safer.....

Now I have to get home and stock up on bellies, I only have 2 in the freezer right now.  I hope the base comissary dosen't run out too soon.  All the rest of you, good luck in stocking up.  Glad to hear Russia is not going to buy any more GMO corn, maybe some here will stop buying any of that GMO stuff also.  Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky