Bacon Idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Just got an idea last night:
If anyone has ever done this, let me know how you did it & how it came out.
Those who didn't do it already could let us know your thoughts on it.

Maybe it's an old idea, but I haven't read any threads on it.

Idea:
What would happen if we injected Maple Syrup or Honey into a belly before smoking?

Maybe after the curing process, but before smoking.
Maybe before curing to get it distributed through the meat. (inject Honey or Maple Syrup---then coat the outside with the cure mixture).
How much to use? One ounce per pound? Half ounce per pound?

Bearcarver

I do a lot of honey and maple cure bacon and hams. I do it with the cure. But you can do it prior to curing, you should not do it after the curing.

I use once per five pounds. Higher then that are you get a lot of sugar burning while cooking the bacon or ham slab.

Thanks bbally,
What I'm really looking for is anyone who ever injected only the Maple Syrup into the raw belly.
When I smoked a belly, I put an ounce or two into some of the packages along with the cure, brownsugar, garlic powder, and onion powder. It was all great bacon, but I couldn't tell the difference from the ones that had the Maple Syrup & the ones that didn't.
I don't want it on the outside, because I don't want it burning when I fry it, and I'd rather not have it all sticky with Maple Syrup on the outside.
I'm just thinking if I inject some into a couple pieces, and then do all of my other cure & seasoning on the outside of each piece, I might get some mild Maple flavor added.

Anyone ever do this?

Bearcarver

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky