Bacon Brine question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rich-

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Ocean Shores, Washington
I have and use a 2 Gallon food safe bucket like container for brining bacon etc. On Feb. 23rd I cut a pork belly into 6 slabs, mixed up Pops brine in said bucket and have had the pork slabs in this brine undisturbed since the 23 of last month.

This evening I took a check on my bacon slabs, ( pulled them out of the brine) and I noticed that the slabs that layed together have not changed any color like the areas of the slabs that are more exposed to the liquid.

Here is my question, With the slabs laying one on top of the other and all slabs submerged below the liquid level, are my slabs getting adaquate brining and penetration?

It appears where they lay one on top of another, the brine is not getting to that area of the meat surface. Am I right or wrong?

Should I be putting some type of spacer between the slabs to allow the liquid to contact all areas of the meat?

Thanks for Reading, any help and suggestions appreciated.

Rich-

popcorn.gif
  I am gonna wait for the guys to pitch in here with ya Rich!  I have some pork bellies ordered...and probably need to know that too.

Kat

I have and use a 2 Gallon food safe bucket like container for brining bacon etc. On Feb. 23rd I cut a pork belly into 6 slabs, mixed up Pops brine in said bucket and have had the pork slabs in this brine undisturbed since the 23 of last month.

This evening I took a check on my bacon slabs, ( pulled them out of the brine) and I noticed that the slabs that layed together have not changed any color like the areas of the slabs that are more exposed to the liquid.

Here is my question, With the slabs laying one on top of the other and all slabs submerged below the liquid level, are my slabs getting adaquate brining and penetration?

It appears where they lay one on top of another, the brine is not getting to that area of the meat surface. Am I right or wrong?

Should I be putting some type of spacer between the slabs to allow the liquid to contact all areas of the meat?

Thanks for Reading, any help and suggestions appreciated.

Rich-
Mine do this every time..  no worries rich..

Its sorta like when a couple butts touch during the smoke...different color and bark but still cooked..

Craig

Thanks Craig, and Kat.

I will leave them in the brine for a couple more days as is, that will hit my 15 day brine time, then I will give them a Maple rub down and cold smoke them for at least 14 hrs.

Thanks for the help: Rich

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky