Bacon # 3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsmokerky

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Bowling Green
I've got a slab thawing for another bacon run. This one is larger than the fist two. Haven't weighed it, but I'm guessing 4 lbs or so. After the first two rounds, I think I've zeroed in on what I like(that's what the Mrs likes). Pics and cure process to come tomorrow.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thought it was bigger. Longer but narrower. 2.75 lbs. Rubbed with a smidge over 1/2 tsp of cure, 5 tsp light brown sugar and 5 tsp salt. Rubbed in and in the fridge. Under 1.75” at thickest point. Let this one cure a week.

Attachments

• A45EAB26-FB25-407A-9368-08514251D69C.jpeg
    A45EAB26-FB25-407A-9368-08514251D69C.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 19
I'm planning to do a 2 hour cold smoke with apple pellets, then heat smoke with apple wood. I think this one will be my favorite so far. A bit more smoke, a bit more brown sugar. Just curious, how does light brown sugar compare with regular brown sugar on cure? I used dark brown sugar on first two, only had light brown sugar when I went to cupboard today.

Just curious... What is the purpose of massaging the bacon slab during the cure process? I massage it well, both sides, and then flip every afternoon when I get home. Not questioning, just like to know why it is important. Disco?

Best batch by far. I’ll increase brown sugar a bit on next but this is great. Went with just a warm smoke, but doubled down on apple smoke. Filled amazn tube with apple pellets and had apple chunks in tray. Smoked at 180 to 140 IT. Great flavor. Smoke just great. Loving this Smokin It unit. Thanks to all that have helped.

Attachments

• 07632F90-D9FF-491D-B3F0-6B750121D6F4.jpeg
    07632F90-D9FF-491D-B3F0-6B750121D6F4.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky