Baby backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ooaaronoo

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
First time making baby backs.tried spare ribs with very little success. On the back rack no wrapping. The front was 2.5 smoked wrapped for 1.5 and sauced for a hr. Both racks were just a tad starting to dry out. Not sure what to cut down time wise . Any input would be appreciated. Dont get me wrong they were great and the best iv made so far.

ihi5txdah0231.jpg

Not a lot to go on. How about some more info like: What smoker, what temp, was the grate temp verified with a calibrated therm or were you using a built-in therm, how did you determine them to be done?

Propane smoker,250 temp , used a thermometer that has been checked. Bend test

ON, My baby backs get two hours with smoke ,2 hours wrapped(nothing added) and 1 hour unwrapped at 225. Come out great everytime.

Reactions: diverboss
ON, My baby backs get two hours with smoke ,2 hours wrapped(nothing added) and 1 hour unwrapped at 225. Come out great everytime.
I was very unsure on the times..everywhere you read it varies so much

Baby backs usually don’t have a lot of fat on them like spares, so I think they are best smoked at lower temps. Sometimes I cook them unwrapped the whole time but I think they need more basting along the way to keep the surface moist. But having to open my UDS smoker up so much keeps my temperatures rising a lot. Sometimes I use a modified 2-2-1 method and cook around 225 for around 2 hours. Then wrapped (meat side down) for another 1-2 hours, depending on how thick and meaty they are. I’d check them after 1 hour wrapped and then keep going as needed. Once they are close to the tenderness you like, unwrap, then sauce if you want sauce and let it setup and check on them every 15 minutes or so until you are happy with them. All these times and temps will vary. Everybody has their own preferences, plus every rack is different and might cook a little different. I know that’s a lot of babying to do, but it can yield some awesome Q.

Reactions: diverboss
Baby backs usually don’t have a lot of fat on them like spares, so I think they are best smoked at lower temps. Sometimes I cook them unwrapped the whole time but I think they need more basting along the way to keep the surface moist. But having to open my UDS smoker up so much keeps my temperatures rising a lot. Sometimes I use a modified 2-2-1 method and cook around 225 for around 2 hours. Then wrapped (meat side down) for another 1-2 hours, depending on how thick and meaty they are. I’d check them after 1 hour wrapped and then keep going as needed. Once they are close to the tenderness you like, unwrap, then sauce if you want sauce and let it setup and check on them every 15 minutes or so until you are happy with them. All these times and temps will vary. Everybody has their own preferences, plus every rack is different and might cook a little different. I know that’s a lot of babying to do, but it can yield some awesome Q.
Thanks for the response .. that was my first run with them and was very pleased..now just gotta tweak them

@250º 5hrs is generally in the ballpark for when I smoke without wrapping. Would think wrapping for a period would speed up the process ergo maybe less than 5hrs is needed. I would suggest 2hr smoke, 1.5 wrap, then back to smoking and watch for doneness.

I have done mine 3-2-1 at 225 and 250 with good success. I generally add beer or apple juice the foil step.

@250º 5hrs is generally in the ballpark for when I smoke without wrapping. Would think wrapping for a period would speed up the process ergo maybe less than 5hrs is needed. I would suggest 2hr smoke, 1.5 wrap, then back to smoking and watch for doneness.
Next time I maybe try 2 smoke 2 wrapped on the wrapped rack.. and do you usually use a waterpan?

Did they freely fall to a 45 plus degree angle with the bend test? Also if they were top heavy with loin meat that could also affect their cook time.

Chris

1488471865143.jpg
Pit Boss Pellet Smoker, Pecan cherry mix, 225 f @hrs on Smoke 2Hrs, wrapped in heavy duty foil, 3 times, 2 hrs on heat. Mop with spices and bourbon every 30 min or so, be careful taking them out of the smoker, they fall apart!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky