Baby backs to christen my UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mshred

Original poster
May 14, 2017
Toronto, Canada
First cook today on the USD I built. Baby backs for 5 hours at around 240, some mesquite wood, with no foil, bbq sauce last 15 minutes. Nice tbs the whole time...What do you guys think? They felt a little tough, I think they should have cooked longer even though they came off the bone pretty easy....for some reason I budgeted for a 5 hour cook then realized it probably needed a 6 according to all the recipes around for smoking baby backs, but I had hungry guests that didn't want to wait another hour.

As for the cook itself, this thing was awesome. Built a proper fire for it and it was rocking for hours even after I finished as I wanted to see how long it could go for. Should do a longer cook like a brisket or butt with no problems, I shut it down after 9 hours since I had no need to waste fuel seeing it would go as long as I needed it to.

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Them pics look like it was over cooked. Hard to tell.

5 hours at 240 shouldn't over cook them.

The important thing is that the UDS worked great. I have 2 and love them.

Them pics look like it was over cooked. Hard to tell.

5 hours at 240 shouldn't over cook them.

The important thing is that the UDS worked great. I have 2 and love them.

Yea it was still quite red all through the meat. Couldn't tell if there was a smoke ring because of that, plus there wasn't much meat on them (a little disappointed on these racks actually as they were from the local butcher and I've seen nicer at the big box stores)

Was hard for me to tell that's why I ask here...and yes the uds is kick ass!:grilling_smilie:

Next time you may want to try cooking them to temp instead of time.

You will get very consistent results this way.

Here is my method, it may give you some ideas.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/240916/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works

Al

Thanks for sharing Al! I was wondering when I was cooking if I should probe the temp with the patec therm I picked up, but I wasn't sure the ideal IT for ribs. I'm gonna try your argent IT next time and see how it goes.

Wanting to smoke something again this weekend, it's addicting! But I live alone and am wondering how I can do something besides ribs and not have s ton of food leftover that I can't eat lol

They look good to me, but I have had more trouble with back ribs then spare ribs so I buy spars and trim them to St Louis style they are always meaty and I know what to expect, plus I like all the trimmings that I make burnt ends out of and put in my smoked baked beans.
I get pork back ribs from my sister she owns a restaurant for $1.79 a pound they are real meaty but have little fat and come out a little tuff. I just personally like spars best.

Randy,

Yea it was still quite red all through the meat. Couldn't tell if there was a smoke ring because of that, plus there wasn't much meat on them (a little disappointed on these racks actually as they were from the local butcher and I've seen nicer at the big box stores)

Was hard for me to tell that's why I ask here...and yes the uds is kick ass!:grilling_smilie:
Thanks for sharing Al! I was wondering when I was cooking if I should probe the temp with the patec therm I picked up, but I wasn't sure the ideal IT for ribs. I'm gonna try your argent IT next time and see how it goes.

Wanting to smoke something again this weekend, it's addicting! But I live alone and am wondering how I can do something besides ribs and not have s ton of food leftover that I can't eat lol

Why not cook some chicken on the UDS for the weekend. It's cheap and the UDS will put out some good chicken.

I agree with the others looks like the ribs could over cooked. Al has a good system for ribs. I don't think you will be disappointed if you give it a try.

Did a 6lb rack on Saturday...no wrap, but I followed Al's advice on cooking to IT. I shot for 195, and they turned out AMAZING! They were finished at 9:30 and me and the girlfriend were hungry and it was dark, so no pictures, but MUCH better this time then the first try.

Thanks for the help guys! Shooting to do pork ribs and a brisket for a party this weekend...fingers crossed it turns out ok lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky