Baby Back Ribs - Fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sagosto

Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
I smoked Costco Baby Back Ribs (trimmed) for 2.5 hours in the MES and 2.5 hours in a foiled tin. I then reheated them on the grill along with some split chicken breast and leg quarters that were smoked about the same time. The ribs were semi-tender with some pull on the bone but didn't have much of a smoke flavor. Also, a lot of the fat didn't render off which I found odd give the 2.5 hours in the foiled tin. I could have continued to heat in the tin but it would have dried out the meat. Should I have done a 2.3 approach instead? Any idea why the smoke flavor was lacking? Could it be due to the smoker being loaded?

What temp. were you cooking at? I cook baby backs at 259-275* for three hours and get a good bend. Then, I glaze/sauce twice at 15 minutes each time. They are done, very tasty with a good tug from the bone.

I don't know anything about the MES, but how do you put the smoke in? If you've been using chips, switch to chunks and never soak any type of wood.

Good luck and good smoking, Joe. :grilling_smilie:

Are you going by MES temp inside smoker or another source for temp reading? Mine is off. Might be the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaning...which probe? MES probe or another probe? Sorry my last post didn't say that very clearly.

Dual probe Maverick. The MES temp is never close.

I would guess on needing more time if at 225. 245 should have been close.

Did the ribs appear to be done? Use a bend test, toothpick, temp to know when to pull from smoker? Could have been the piece of meat? Maybe trim them before hand to get uniform size. Any big pieces of fat I usually remove.

Also if you apply rub let it set on both sides for 10 minutes. This is assuming you have salt in the rub. It will pull juices from the meat to the surface. This creates a nice bark and helps keep from drying out. Otherwise, mop or spritz if they dry out while out of foil. Only other ideas I can come up with based on information on the cook.

Rub was done over night. I suppose I didn't cook long enough to get the fat to render and give more tenderness. they are getting better though but losing credibility with wife...

Maybe next time, up the temp in your smoker.....cooking at 225, the meat takes longer to get done. I usually cook in the 275 - 300 range and never have a problem.

Just my .02

What was the IT of the meat? Did you do the probe test before pulling them?
I THINK 18XF. I typically do by time and bend test. My concern is always that it will dry out. It WAS dry but that could be just the fat not fully rendered.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky