As a vistor, what should I expect at BBQ competition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backyardsmokin

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Castle Rock, CO
As BBQ competition time is starting up for the year, I start to think about the competitions that I visited last year, and started to wonder if this is how all competitions are.

I went to one comp where you could buy tickets to sample food at some of the competitors.  It was set up so that you got 7 tickets for $10.  The booths that were open to sampling had special flags up.  However, I noticed that one person would have 1 ticket per sample, then the next would have 3 tickets per sample. One competitor had 15 tickets required per sample.  

The next comp that I went to, no one was allowed to sample.

I would believe that people would be will to sell some of their meat off after turn in to help recoup their costs.  Plus with the two I visited last year, there was no other way to entertain people so unless you were a participant, you were bored.

Are these examples of how competitions are done?  What have you all experienced?

The few I have went to have been like the first......a little more consistent with the pricing then the wide range you described.........

Morning..

I have been to many and competed in a few. I don't think that there is a set rule for vending. I am trying to put a small backyard comp together for next Sept right now. We are going to "ask" that each of the competitors be prepared to vend to 40 people. As of last night meeting, we will sell tickets at $1 ea.......2 tickets per rib sampler......and somewhere between 60 and 70% going back to the venders figured by a ticket count. That's the plan for "our" BBQ.....

Last summer I was at a comp where visitors thought there was going to be food to sample and only one of the teams was set up for it. Not a happy day.....

Brad

I have only been to a few as a visitor and a couple as a competitor and each one was a bit different.  I think it can vary from comp to comp because of different organizers, size of the contest and even different laws from town to town.

I would suggest seeing if any comp you are thinking about going to may have a website with some details or try to contact one of the contest organizers before you go for information on the vending status.

Once a year (in the fall) Sparks, Nevada hosts the "Rib Cookoff"  Thousands of people enjoy sampling some some the nations best Q for

$ 6.00 for three ribs. If you wash your finger you can sample their sauce out of the self-pump dispensers for free. Went one year and shared the samples with two friends but after the fifth rib joint everyone was too full to eat anymore. There were some fifty competitors  there. Don't bother asking any of the competitors for BBQ advice, they"ll just poke you with their turning fork.

Ive cooked in over a hundred or so competitions, every one is different.

Most times the health department prevents competiors from selling meat w/o a vendors permit and health inspection. Most teams will give you things if you make freinds with them. Go to hang with the teams the day and night before the contest, ask about their rigs, make friends and you will usually get an invite back. Bring booze to share and you will fit in like a pro.

Peoples Choice (ticketed sampling) is present at about half the comps we do.

Neil

Ive cooked in over a hundred or so competitions, every one is different.

Most times the health department prevents competiors from selling meat w/o a vendors permit and health inspection. Most teams will give you things if you make freinds with them. Go to hang with the teams the day and night before the contest, ask about their rigs, make friends and you will usually get an invite back. Bring booze to share and you will fit in like a pro.

Peoples Choice (ticketed sampling) is present at about half the comps we do.

Neil
It's amazing the effect a little 'Lubrication' can have on securing cooperation and invites...

PS:  Buy the 'Good stuff' to share, for best results.

Was at Lakeland FL. last Saturday. They have a great turnout. Three bands playing at different ends of the field. Tickets for food and drink were dollar each with most ribs 2 for 3 or 3 for 5. There was every kind of smoker you could think of. It was a great place to spend half the day wandering. Did get a little warm in the sun about mid day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky