apple chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Everyone has 'different tastes' on what the end smoke/flavor end game may be. And that's half the fun of this silly game.

Candidly, when I got it 'really wrong' even the Dogs didn't want anything to do with it .........

:>(

But light smoke (fruit wood) seems to narrow the 'mistakes' down to an acceptable level ... or so Sandy and Husky tell me.

;>)

Last edited:
Trial and Error is all the expierince I have there wasnt internet when I started I like to use a cheap meat like chicken when trying something new if we dont eat it the dogs will I do know that  lump char coal is way better than regular charcoal and that I add the flavor wood towards the end of the smoke so it doesnt over power the meat but thats just how we like it .

I am a novice smoker, very quickly abandoning my grill.   I was wondering about Choke Cherry.   I would assume it has similar qualities as Cherry, but thought I'd ask?   I have one taking over my back yard that I am getting ready to do major pruning on and am thinking of keeping for the smoker.
From the USDA:

CAUTION: PARTS OF THIS PLANT CAN BE POISONOUS

The seeds are toxic due to production of hydrocyanic acid in the leaves, stems and seeds.  The almond-like nuts are treated to deactivate the poisonous glycosides before they are put on the market.  Cases of illness and deaths have been traced back to eating the seeds of these trees.  

Wikipedia:

Chokecherry is toxic to horses, and moose, cattle, goats, deer, and other animals with segmented stomachs (rumens), especially after the leaves have wilted (such as after a frost or after branches have been broken) because wilting releases cyanide  and makes the plant sweet. About 5–10 kg of foliage can be fatal. Symptoms of a horse that has been poisoned include heavy breathing, agitation, and weakness.

Oh yea, it makes terrific jam or syrup for pancakes. ( seeds are removed when juicing the Berries)

I'm interested in trying choke cherry as well. I tried plum and really liked it. I think the plum trees in Wisconsin may be a different variety because the fruit is just a little larger than a quarter.

I'm kinda partial to apple and oak, and I have an apple tree that I'm about to trim WAY back, so I'm looking forward to using it after it dries some, but I also have a pear tree that I'm about to do away with, anyone use pear with anything? 

Try it once if you and your crew like it do it again .It sure is nice to a forum to find out if your ideas are to out of the box though ! I dont know what kind of plum trees we have but there several i will try to find out which type it is and report back

Last edited:
I have a bunch of Bass in the freezer I may smoke it with the plum ,I will tell you a rub I like CHINEESE 5 SPICE is good on fish and chicken 
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky