anyone wet brine large amounts of slabs ? Need ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoods151

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Hey guys , I've been smoking bacon for years now. I use a basic wet brine recipe for 13 days then I cold smoke the slabs for 12 hours. I usually buy slabs per case (70pounds ) I then cut each slab in half and both halves fit inside a 2.5 gallon ziplock, I then add the gallon brine to the bag and seal the bag. I place the bags in my basement fridge for 13 days.
My question is, could I put all the slabs in a large igloo 150qt cooler then add the brine according to my recipe? I was thinking I could freeze a few 1 gallon water jugs and every day I can drop a frozen jug in to keep the brine cold. What do you guys think? Any other ideas? Anyone here do this ? These bags are not cheap and I have a few 150qt coolers not being used. Thanks

welcome1.gif
 To the SMF 15.

I basically do what you are describing when I find myself drowning in too much unexpected Fresh
36.gif
 at once! Key to it is keeping it all cooled down to a safe cold temp and make sure nothing is exposed to air, meaning all covered up by your brine.

The cleaner you can keep your new frozen Ice jugs going in and out of your brine the better to help prevent any possibility of  cross contamination and starting bacteria to grow. If your Brine mix starts to take on any weird funky smells? change it out and rinse your meat off and keep brining until you are ready for the smoker.

I hear you on the whole buying ice expense issue. Get this, in Alaska of all places block and bagged ice cubes is Crazy expensive!  So when I was up there living at the time having fun, I bought and older DEEP freezer and would make all my own ice blocks to go fishing etc. HUGE savings.

Just in case you might not know? there is a difference between a normal freezer and a DEEP freezer when it comes to freezing stuff solid! 
33.gif
   keep us posted with your progress, Mike     

Hey Mike thanks for getting back to me [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]
Have you ever had the pink salt settle to the bottom while brining in a large cooler ? I'm
Gonna give it a go, just ordered a case. I recently just finished a 140lbs which was two cases and it was to crowded in my fridge with the bags.lol Thought the cooler with ice jugs would work just not sure if the salt, sugar, brown sugar and cure will
Settle to the bottom, guess ya could
Always stir it up. Let me know Mike
George

I also use my chest freezer for ice blocks , I do a ton of crabbing and back bay fishing where I live so I try not to buy ice [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited:
Hey Mike thanks for getting back to me [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]
Have you ever had the pink salt settle to the bottom while brining in a large cooler ? I'm
Gonna give it a go, just ordered a case. I recently just finished a 140lbs which was two cases and it was to crowded in my fridge with the bags.lol Thought the cooler with ice jugs would work just not sure if the salt, sugar, brown sugar and cure will
Settle to the bottom, guess ya could
Always stir it up. Let me know Mike
George

I also use my chest freezer for ice blocks , I do a ton of crabbing and back bay fishing where I live so I try not to buy ice [emoji]128077[/emoji]
Hi George, Pink Salt meaning #1 cure?
33.gif
   No I have not. 1 tsp of #1 per 5 lbs of meat this will not happen. Salt and sugar dissolves better in warm water over cold. Any undissolved PLAIN NON Iodized salt and sugar you have at the bottom means, your brine solution is supersaturated and the dissolving process has stopped.Your brine at this point can not be made any more salty or sweet at this point. The stuff undissolved at the bottom is a waste at this point. 

Chief JJ can jump in and break that process down for you in more of a food safety concept of what is really happening. #1 cure Pink Salt is nothing to play around with, if you don't understand how it is to be used safely.

You should also go to Roll Call and post up a little more info  for us if you like? Sounds like you're hooked on this SMF and going to hang  around. You are going to have a lot of fun here!
grilling_smilie.gif
yahoo.gif

I used to wet brine my bacon...   I switched to a "dry brine" to have more room in the refer....  each slab has to be rubbed with the proper amount of cure mix....   I stack the bellies with spacers between...  let sit for 2 weeks + then continue with the process...

.....click on pics to enlarge.....

The spacers were found at W-M in the home crafts section...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky