Anyone tailgating this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irish fan

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 26, 2006
I will have the pleasure of tailgating for the Notre Dame football game this Saturday.Being out around thousands of N.D. fans on a cool Saturday afternoon cooking brats,chicken wings,drinking beer,watching drunk college girls,and oh ya some football.Life is great in the U.S.A. Anyone else goin out to party in the parking lot? And whats cookin? GO IRISH!!!

I'll be watching the Gators demolish Miami and hoping Hurricane Ike doesn't demolish Miami too
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

My Brother, CHECK this out.
People actually get pissed if I don't bring em.
PERFECT for Bloodies too! ;)

TAILGATE SALMON STUFFED PEPPERONCINI APPETIZERSRecipe Courtesy of SUPER VMAN (john Velek) Minnesota Vikings Hall of Fame Fan – Canton 2000

GREAT Cause you can make em the night before, just grab and go.
TAKES a bit of prep time, but a Guaranteed HIT.
The recipe is more of what looks good to your eye. Every recipe is just a guide for you to tweak as you wish.
The Dairy of the Cream Cheese helps to cut the “heat” of the peppers.

2 (10 oz) Jars of PEPPERONCINI Peppers (I prefer Mezzetta)
1 (4 0z) Piece of SMOKED SALMON
2 Blocks Cream Cheese Softened to Room Temp ( I prefer Philadelphia )
2 Med. SHALLOTS, minced, ( about quarter to half dollar size) optional
1 Lemon ( I use the juice from about a quarter of a fresh lemon ) optional
1 Bunch FRESH DILL, Lg. Stems removed, Chopped -

Use 1 – 2 TBSP of Chopped Dill – Whatever looks good to your eye
1 Ziplock
Freezer Bag ( Quart Size or Bigger )
Optional
Gloves to protect your hands from peppers while stuffing

PROCESS:
Remove Salmon from package, place on glass plate and let come to Room Temp.
Remove Philly Cream Cheese from Package, Plate, and let come to Room Temp.

While this is happening Open and Strain Pepperoncini Peppers.
With a SHARP Knife – Remove the Tops (caps) from the peppers and set peppers aside.
NOTE: You MAY want to wear rubber or food gloves so you don’t touch yourself and burn.
Take the Pepper “Pods” and From the Bottom up Gently Squeeze and Roll the Pepper between your fingers to remove the seeds like you remove the meat from a shrimps tail shell. Try not to tear the skins.
Set empty pepper shells aside.

Salmon: Remove hard smoked casing or crust (from the smoking process) on top if any, the skin and any brown meat from underside)
DICE THE Pink Salmon Meat into little pieces.

In a bowl Mix the Softened Cream Cheese, Chopped Fresh Dill, and Salmon.
Also add the Lemon Juice and Shallots if you choose to use them. I only use them about 25% of the time.
Add More Fresh Chopped Dill if it looks like it needs it.

Put Mix into a Ziplock Bag.
Just barely snip a Bottom Corner of the Ziplock Bag.
Now you have a “home made piping” bag.
Squeeze the bag and hold a pepper shell over the open corner of the bag.
This will fill the Pepper shell with the GOOD STUFF.
When complete – put Peppers on a Plate and cover with Saran Wrap.
Place in Fridge at least 20 minutes ( or overnight ) and then uncover and enjoy.

The flavours meld and it’s wonderful. Also good in Bloody Marys. J

This takes a little bit of prep time but IT IS WORTH IT.
MAKE A DAY AHEAD AND COVER.

I could go on and on, here's a few things
Make Wraps.
Cut avocados in half, remove seed, spray w pam, grill 2 min each side fill hole w a corn salsa - container of food to go ( make sure you have plastic spoons)
Use Raddiccio leaves for "cups" and fill em w a Chicken Salad, Pasta Salad, Etc.
Cool condiment trick. Take Bell peppers, cut off top, seed and fill with condiments. Green for Relish, Red for Ketchup, Yellow Bell for Mustard.

Jambalaya is relatively cheap and easy for folks.
GIANT pot of Chili works.
I've got a nice "turducken chili" that I created for an event last year.
I'll put up the recipe if you wish. They're gonna publish it in a tailgate cookbook this year.

Relish trays are cheap and easy.

Depending on time of day Breakfast Frittatas are always good and easy.
Corn Bread from the Cast Iron is always good.

I like to "theme" it. GRILL THE ENEMY as it were. Playin a team w birds grill chicken, playin fish grill fish, playin New Orleans make cajun food, etc.

It depends on time. SOmetimes I like to do make ahead grab and go stuff. Sometimes I just like to hang in the lots and create food. Don't think my Pastor appreciates it too much, but that's his problem.

I LOVE toothpicks. Some people have some nasty fingers and if you can train em to use toothpicks your food will be more sanitary for others.

Just PLAN ahead and go over and over it so you don't miss anything you might need. Sit back, make food, have fun.
SKOL
Vman

It's the weekend already???? I'm still recovering from last Saturday ECU/VT game.

Have you got any tylenol?

Im with all these gator fans. gonna be watchin a couple butts smokin away on my front porch tomorrow startin bout six a.m. Canes dont stand a chance against florida.
Gooooooooo GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the Sun Devils Stanford game. I think this week is Italian Beef. We have about 25 people every week. A different family takes one game a season.

Ill be tailgating in Reno at the Nevada v. Texas Tech game here in Reno and weve got about 25 people coming. I smoked 2 10lb butts and will be grilling 3 tri tips ive had marinading since Wednesday and 10 chicken breasts which are currently marindading in italian dressing. I also whipped up some coleslaw and others are bringing lots of other good grub. Should be a great tailgate and great game against a top 15 opponent.

COOL way to do it.
Way we do it. There's definately some folks who never contribute.
Pro Games are different than College.

ALWAYS feed a College kid! ALWAYS! Heck, invite em over on purpose!

Mooches at Pro games well. It happens.
You just chalk it up to what the heck. Some folks have no scruples.

V

Yea we usually have some college kids popping by at the end eyeing the left overs. We always tell them help yourself we are just going to throw it away.

Last week the group by us got the remnants of the pulled pork BBQ nachos. They were ecstatic.

Well with all the gator fans on the board, I have to represent the Canes.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
23 years since the last gator win, watch your counting lizzards before your eggs hatch. Somehow someway GO CANES.
oh
Smoked a brisket for the game tonight.

Good for you lettin em eat it. College kids deserve a break.

You know, in Mpls at the Vikes games homeless people come scour the lots for food after the games start. I ALWAYS leave mine out rather than pitch it, just on the ground in tin foil pans, but after the game I pitch anything left. I leave em plastic forks. What the Hell? I I'd rather do that than pitch it.

This was for Lucky.
I forgot too, I even got a thank you note one time. NO KIDDING! I was glad and sad at the same time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky