Another Chuck Enchilada, Spicy Red

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
🤣Well, it appears I was on the same frequency as JCAP JCAP and decided on an enchilada cook today. Some good friends had their first baby and we wanted to make a bunch of chow that can freeze and reheat easy as they adjust to life with a little crying, poop machine in their home. We had some great friends from Mexico years ago that did the same for us and it was a life saver! I smashed a few recipes together, needs a few tweaks, but came out pretty good.
- About 5 pounds boneless beef chuck, I decided to do a garlic lime marinade the night before.
Marinade:
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 tablespoons fresh lime zest
  • 6 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cpepper
    25744F0A-0F54-4C04-8C16-E3C9CF79AEE4.jpeg

The next morning onto the pellet smoker at 225 with apple, I cold smoked for about an hour before heat with amazn
  • 6A535C50-A169-439A-B671-99A847681D50.jpeg

Then a cup of coffee with my buddy
  • 8BDB5D51-EC25-445E-9C62-FABD2A4C7129.jpeg

After my coffee, I got to work on the Spicy red sauce, ingredients;
  • 2 sweet or yellow onions, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 Chipotle pepper chopped
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
    Heated Beef tallow in pan, then put in the onion for about 4 min with dash of salt, followed by the japaneno for about a minute. Then dumped all the dry spices, mixing until fragrant. Finally the garlic for a minute followed by wine to deglaze and then the tomato sauce. Reduced heat and simmer.
  • C1EBA8FC-FD7E-4EF7-B274-3C947A2CB8BB.jpeg

Once the simmer is going I waited for Chuck to hit 180 IT.
  • D5CF4D95-6A6F-423A-844E-FE2B67599108.jpeg

I was planning on pulling the beef in the sauce, but pulled an audible and randomly heated up two CI and filled with the red sauce to finish cooking the meat while wet, the idea to pull in the sauce.
  • 036BB2AF-27B9-4532-993F-CD2A386A6CD4.jpeg

5979A9A1-2454-4893-99E8-BFDAE46A2393.jpeg
    BF83AEE6-1B7F-4C67-A494-36C782005FE6.jpeg
    639BF196-C264-4967-85D1-CE41A2709161.jpeg

I started probing at 200, but wasn’t having any luck. The acidic marinade may have done something to the meat, I began questioning at about 205 IT. No matter how many times I tell myself to wait for it, in the heat of the moment I sometimes break. The cook in the sauce made me question too. So, I pulled and did a thin chop and simmered in more sauce before building.
  • 0FDE65B9-0F43-47A3-8774-C17610A0C273.jpeg

Then built the enchiladas, heated tortillas in a pan with butter, then lots of meat, cheese, and sauce. Seam side down!
  • E9A96D1E-1349-4A5D-B17E-05182800DF58.jpeg
    A5731E74-C78E-41D0-92BC-EF09F6B30D08.jpeg

Back into smoker heated up to 350
    BC6282CF-623B-401F-B070-D997E9E386F8.jpeg

Lost track of time, but caught it before a burn job!
    729A4111-6B57-42A9-8AB1-AA678FB95ACD.jpeg

I made a smaller one for us to “test” and we were pretty happy, not off the charts, tears in our eyes happy. The meat is where I failed, but not to the point where I feel bad giving it to a sleepless friend and his wife while they figure out what it’s like to have a kid. Plate shot, great comfort food!
  • DA624763-ABC2-453A-9D3B-FA65EA310080.jpeg

2DB3763B-0C74-4EA4-A486-2510C3F1A241.jpeg
    Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Great looking cook! And a great idea to help out the new parents! I wish on them the same luck we had 30 years ago with our 1st daughter...she slept all night and took at least a 3 hour nap each day!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Great looking cook! And a great idea to help out the new parents! I wish on them the same luck we had 30 years ago with our 1st daughter...she slept all night and took at least a 3 hour nap each day!
Ryan
Thank you Ryan! Man, you lucked out! I always say God gave us our first to teach us to be humble. She never slept for more than an hour or two, screamed through nap time and was always fussy. Our second and third was a breeze!

Those look so awesome. I love the homemade sauce component too. Funny enough, mine was a tad tougher to pull than usual too and I took it to 215! I wonder if the sauce could be an issue?!

Killer job!

That looks freaking amazing. Very nice work and great pictures.
Thank you Sven! It is crazy how well iPhones can take pictures now and I have one that is a few years old!

That looks awesome
I appreciate it Buckeye!

Phenomenal man! BTW, you might be owing me a phone… cause I think mine is ruined now!
In all seriousness, very nice cook!
Thank you Sir! I believe that a Gif is the ultimate compliment and I appreciate your time!

They look incredible. I will sometimes smoke a chuck until about 160 than into the pressure cooker. No worries about getting tender that way.
Thank you Brian! Good call on the pressure cooker to finish. I will try that next time. I was feeling a bit cocky after my Poor Man's Burnt Ends a few weeks ago. Next time I will try that!

Now that looks great and a nice gesture that I'm sure was appreciated !
Keith
Thank you Keith, I know we've appreciated it when others have done the same for us. That first kid is a shock and having a decent home cooked meal makes a big difference in moral!

Fantastic ! Man that beef is spot on . Nice work bud .
Very appreciated!

Nice it's weird I seen a few enchilada recipes lately on other pages I follow too must be something in the water lol. Yours looks awesome I might have to try it. ty for sharing

Those enchiladas look amazing Jed, thanks so much for sharing with us. Food p**n at it's finest!

Simply outstanding Jed!! You have been killing it recently. This is another one I MUST DO!! We seem to be sharing ideas back and forth somewhat regularly the past couple months :emoji_wink: Love it!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky