alternate smoking :)-

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 16, 2008
NW Ohio - outside Toledo
O.K. I have a question I thought I'd never need to ask
icon_redface.gif
. My Trish is complaining about my wanting to go out in Fridgid temps. to do my Smoking. You know it's a year round thing and a man has got to do what he has to do . . . but going from Stickburner to Watt Burner or all Gas is not Oldschool
icon_eek.gif

Trish mentioned this and ask me to ponder the implications. Now, I need some input , I know that as long as I have fuel ,the Propane units will last as long as I want to cook. As does the Electeic units.  What I need is a review of members thoughts on these units.

My budget will be $300 . I would like to know of "Pros and Cons " of these types of Smokers . Longevity , heat limits , durability , reliability and anything else that I should know.

I'll be reading and parusing this thread .

Thanks in advance for the info.  WE will be looking hard around Nov. , but until then , I'll be using my "Baby Girl" and "Flo" to do my thing through the Summer , I have a nice shade tree to escape the heat of Summer. And a mister for cooling off
cool.gif

Have fun and enjoy the Summer. As always remember. . .

Well here's my 2 cents.  Growing up in South Texas, I too am old school.  Cooked my 1st packer at 15-16 yrs old ( nothing but mesquite wood ).  NEVER used a meat therm in my life.  I used to say "REAL MEN USE WOOD" but 2 factors have started to change my ideas.  As I get older, the hassle of stoking the fire, adding wood, stirring the coals while fun to do in South Texas, gets a little tedious in the snow.  Which brings me to the 2nd factor, the GREAT British weather; which is where I now live.  Been here 13 yrs. now and I still don't do cold!  Rain is another thing ya gotta deal with here.  Hard to plan a smoke as the weather will not cooperate.  I am giving up my offset and am building a propane fridge smoker.  Will keep my Old Smokey and the knockoff kettle but the main unit will be the fridge.  Less tending and more set it and forget it.  Rain not a problem.  Of course if you have a covered BBQ area, rain and snow may not be a problem.  Still really cold in Ohio winters though.  I know it is hard to change but " a man's gotta know his limitations".  I chose propane only because I have no access to to an outdoor electrical outlet and would have to change out my breaker box to add another 20-30 amp circuit.  Also I probably will never load the fridge in the truck and use it somewhere else but with propane, that option is there.  I know there are pros and cons for both but I can't say one would be better than the other.  Might depend on what you have to pay for electric vs. propane.  So there it is .  Hope it helps.  Keep Smokin!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky