Aldi Half Bonless Butt - Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jpolivka

Original poster
Apr 23, 2017
Upstate, SC
So I ran into this Half Boneless Butt Roast thing at Aldi, On sale $1.79/lb and figured I'd give it a go for my first butt smoke.  I smoked it on a Saturday, with plans to eat it on Monday night.

As you can see, it is netted in a cotton/elastic net.  When I opened it, I guess I ended up with the bone-side, which was de-boned.  Almost butterfly cut.  I decided to leave the netting on to keep it together.

Light mustard and heavy rub (my own recipe) - saran wrapped and into the fridge overnight

Smoked 1/2 hickory and 1/2 apple at 240

Put it in a foil cake pan - fat side up

Squirted with 3 parts apple juice and 1 part spiced rum every hour once IT was 100

Pulled at IT 165 and wrapped in foil

Pulled again at 190 -wrapped one more foil layer and a towel - into the Roadie 20

Started at 8:00am Saturday and was in the Yeti at 4:45.

At this point, the family all piled in the car and we went to eat with some friends.  We had dinner plans already, in case the butt went wrong.

I got home and pulled it at 8:00pm.  The Yeti kept it plenty hot, almost too hot to unwrap from the foil.

I ended up putting it into two quart sized freezer bags.  One in the deep freezer for a quick warm-up meal (I have four kids, all under the age of 6 - dinner gets crazy some times) later. Second bag went in the fridge and warmed up Monday night.  We re-heated in the bag, submerged in hot water on the stove top.

It was absolutely delicious!  The wife was very impressed, and two of the four kids ate it with no sauce (a small miracle in my home). 

A few things I would change if I could go back in time:

Probably smoke over the foil pan, and not in it

If I were to keep it in the pan, I would go fat side down.  I ended up throwing a fair portion of the good smokey charred bits away as there was a good bit of gristle

Would probably dump all the remaining apple/rum mix in the foil at IT 165

Would it eat right after the smoke.  I probably ate a 1/2 pound as I was pulling.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Happy smoking!

-Justin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky