Al Pastor Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
that looks amazing! is deffo on my must do list!
that kebab/skewer plate thing is that something you can buy or is it home made, not sure if you can get them over the pond here?

that looks amazing! is deffo on my must do list!
that kebab/skewer plate thing is that something you can buy or is it home made, not sure if you can get them over the pond here?
Its called Trompo King, if you can't buy one it would be easy enough to make.

If you drill a tight, clean hole for the spike, there shouldn't be much leakage.
The meat and sauce should act as a dam, especially once the pan get hot and cooks the bottom.

$100.00 for the Trompo King, dang'it they sure do think a lot of their product.

For that price I'll keep doing mine on the grill.
At least that way I can enjoy that great char flavor all over the meat.
Al Pastor Bastardizo - Bastardized Al Pastor

Woke up - jumped on this forum - and you ruined my carefully planned Saturday after I saw your pics. Can only think about how awesome that must taste and what I will smoke this afternoon.

Like!

Congrats on making the carousel!

Reactions: navigator
I am a little late to the game here, but damn Navigator! Like Chile, I make an ad-hoc version as well, but this is about as close to the real thing as I have seen without a vertical rotisserie. Just like the street vendors at Miguel al Amon in Sonora. Very well done.

I was inspired to try this too. Very good results, taste tester thought it was best "street tacos" she's had
0930181557.jpg
. Used my Davy Crockett pellet grill. Bent some cheap skewers in an "L" shape, wired them together at the base and stuck the meat on it. Worked pretty well.

Looks good can’t wait to try it, did you cook it all the way thru or slice some off then cook some more then slice some more? Trying to figure out times for both,especially if you slice then wait for it to crust up sone more before slicing again. Thanks..

I was inspired to try this too. Very good results, taste tester thought it was best "street tacos" she's hadView attachment 377354 . Used my Davy Crockett pellet grill. Bent some cheap skewers in an "L" shape, wired them together at the base and stuck the meat on it. Worked pretty well.

Looks great! I picked up a rack that fits in the bottom of mine for the next time, think it will help it cook faster and the bottom meat won't be in the grease and burnt stuff.

hEBimBI.jpg

I saw a similar video of an Al Pastor oven recipe and they used a 1" thick whole pineapple slice as the base with a wooden skewer inserted upward. Packed the stick with marinated meat, and then topped it with a smaller pineapple sliced. Place that on a foil pan and that should keep the meat up out of the grease as well. That was going to be my method when I attempt this recipe.

I saw a similar video of an Al Pastor oven recipe and they used a 1" thick whole pineapple slice as the base with a wooden skewer inserted upward. Packed the stick with marinated meat, and then topped it with a smaller pineapple sliced. Place that on a foil pan and that should keep the meat up out of the grease as well. That was going to be my method when I attempt this recipe.

I had a small bruised pineapple so I used a huge Vidalia onion on the bottom (which was very good with the pork) to elevate it but the meat still ends up on the bottom all around the outside, which wasn't a big deal, you lose a tiny bit of meat but it really messes up the presentation.

Reactions: markh024
This is on top of my to do list! fantastic! So, I'm new to this whole thing, can you use other types of meat or does it have to be pork?? I'm thinking thinly cut beef or even chicken.. the hunting side of me is thinking of all that venison in the freezer I need to use up as well. Chicken would be a little harder to "slice" thin but maybe instead of slicing, what about pounding it thin?? just some thoughts about this

This is on top of my to do list! fantastic! So, I'm new to this whole thing, can you use other types of meat or does it have to be pork?? I'm thinking thinly cut beef or even chicken.. the hunting side of me is thinking of all that venison in the freezer I need to use up as well. Chicken would be a little harder to "slice" thin but maybe instead of slicing, what about pounding it thin?? just some thoughts about this

I'm sure you can use whatever you like meat and spice wise. My next one is going to be chicken shawarma with thighs. I already bought the shawarma spices.
I would think slice the venison thin and pound any thicker parts. Or if using steaks just pound them as thin as you can.

I'm sure you can use whatever you like meat and spice wise. My next one is going to be chicken shawarma with thighs. I already bought the shawarma spices.
I would think slice the venison thin and pound any thicker parts. Or if using steaks just pound them as thin as you can.
I think i need to ask Santa for a good meat slicer for Christmas! I also need to figure out how to mod my rotisserie to fit my grill, its a char broil rotisserie but i got a new weber spirit grill and the holes dont line up... or you think the meat might fall off the rotisserie since its so thin?

smokinq13 - slice your meat when it is partially frozen. use a sharp knife. You don't need a slicer to do this. Slicer is morehandy for cutting up cold cuts thin and bacon, etc.

Meat should hang on a rotisserie, you'll be at 1/4" thickness if not a little more on some cuts. should be plenty and then just compacted together

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky