A-MAZE-N Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sgwilliams

Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.
I'm new to smoking meat and just got a MES 40" Model 20072612. I have been reading quite a bit in the forums here and have come up with a few questions about getting and alternative smoke source. I noticed the side load chip tray only lets you add 1/2 cup of wood chips during a smoke. The downfall is that the smoke doesn't last that long maybe 45 minutes. So I can add chips but they burn up within an hour. I have read in some of the threads here that MES owners buy after market smoker called the A-Maze-N products. And this sounds like a great alternative smoke source but by default it uses pellets and I have read that there is a big difference between using compressed wood and natural chipped wood. I would love to use the MES without having to reload the chip tray every hour if I could. My questions are:

1. Can you use chips instead of pellets in the A-Maze-N smokers or do you have to use pellets?

2. If chips can be used, how long do the chips last in the A-Maze-N smoker vs the pellets?

3. What size and type of A-Maze-N smoker should I get for my MES?

4. What are the differences in Round type A-Maze-N and tray type A-Maze-N?

5. Where should the A-Maze-N be placed in the MES unit and what is the logic for its recommended location.

If I could get a supplemental / alternative smoke source then I would not have to open the smoker and interrupt the process. 

Any help or input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have a propane smoker, but the pellet Tray from amazin is awesome on electric smokers. Saw it in action. The pellets are great, especially their own pellets. Some people dry them in the microwave or oven first to be sure they stay lit. It's shaped like a maze and will smoke for about 12 hours fully loaded. You light it with some type of torch.(little handheld butane or propane) I have the tube smoker on the way. Don't think you can use chips.

Last edited:

I'm new to smoking meat and just got a MES 40" Model 20072612. I have been reading quite a bit in the forums here and have come up with a few questions about getting and alternative smoke source. I noticed the side load chip tray only lets you add 1/2 cup of wood chips during a smoke. The downfall is that the smoke doesn't last that long maybe 45 minutes. So I can add chips but they burn up within an hour. I have read in some of the threads here that MES owners buy after market smoker called the A-Maze-N products. And this sounds like a great alternative smoke source but by default it uses pellets and I have read that there is a big difference between using compressed wood and natural chipped wood. I would love to use the MES without having to reload the chip tray every hour if I could. My questions are: I haven't used anything but my Amazings in my MES in over 4 years----They're awesome!!

1. Can you use chips instead of pellets in the A-Maze-N smokers or do you have to use pellets? The AMNPS is made for pellets & sawdust.

2. If chips can be used, how long do the chips last in the A-Maze-N smoker vs the pellets?

3. What size and type of A-Maze-N smoker should I get for my MES? Get the 5 X 8 AMNPS and a bunch of pellets.

4. What are the differences in Round type A-Maze-N and tray type A-Maze-N? The 5 X 8 AMNPS (tray) is Great for small smokers like the MES at low altitude. The AMNTS (tube) is Great for larger smokers, but puts out too much smoke for an MES (IMHO) unless you're at high altitude.

5. Where should the A-Maze-N be placed in the MES unit and what is the logic for its recommended location. That depends on which Generation MES you have. I don't memorize Model numbers. If you have a Gen #1, it goes on the bars in the bottom, to the left of the chip burner assembly.

If I could get a supplemental / alternative smoke source then I would not have to open the smoker and interrupt the process. 

Any help or input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Bear

Thanks for the input fella's. Appreciate your help. I'm going to order the AMNPS 5x8 and get some hickory and apple wood pellets to start. I will update the thread with my review after a couple smokes with the new smoke source.

I love this forum it is awesome sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky