A Curtido Repollo Recipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I make many variations of a cabbage slaw. These are tart and can be sweet with as much heat as you like with pretty much any vegetable combination you want as long as it’s cabbage and root crops. These are bright and refreshing and compliment everything from tacos to fish to brats in a bun, dogs too. Great on sandwiches also. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb and fish love this.

So this is just a basic recipe using vinegar and lime juice, but you can add or subtract the veggies, you can trade the lime for fresh lemon. This is a modular slaw recipe that is fun to play with. Mexican, Italian, Greek, you can go with about any flavor profile you want as long as you keep the vinegar in there, citrus is optional but highly recommended.

Basic Recipe:

Half of a small head of cabbage sliced thin but not angel hair.
half a medium onion sliced thin.
couple nice cloves of minced garlic (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chicken bouillon such as Knorr brand.
2 tsp of sugar
Fresh cracked black pepper.
1 medium lime juiced
1-2 Tbs of vinegar (white or cider)
1 Tbs of EVO
Can dice up pickled jalapeño or fresh, can add minced Serrano pepper as well to taste. Great place to use Hatch Green Chile as well.

IMG_1582.jpeg

To this you can add shredded carrots or radish or other root crops. Let this mixture set for 4 hours before using but will keep for upwards of a month if stirred every couple days from the fridge.

This is a bright very flavorful addition to any meal.

Last edited:
If I can work some sweet notes in there somewhere ( like red cabbage or Harvard beets) I can make it work.
Absolutely can. Like I said this really is modular. Add shredded sweet potatoes if you want. Zing, zang and sweet is all up to you, in the end it is crisp and delicious.

Reactions: JLinza and DougE
I make many variations of a cabbage slaw. These are tart and can be sweet with as much heat as you like with pretty much any vegetable combination you want as long as it’s cabbage and root crops. These are bright and refreshing and compliment everything from tacos to fish to brats in a bun, dogs too. Great on sandwiches also. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb and fish love this.

So this is just a basic recipe using vinegar and lime juice, but you can add or subtract the veggies, you can trade the lime for fresh lemon. This is a modular slaw recipe that is fun to play with. Mexican, Italian, Greek, you can go with about any flavor profile you want as long as you keep the vinegar in there, citrus is optional but highly recommended.

Basic Recipe:

Half of a small head of cabbage sliced thin but not angel hair.
half a medium onion sliced thin.
couple nice cloves of minced garlic (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chicken bouillon such as Knorr brand.
2 tsp of sugar
Fresh cracked black pepper.
1 medium lime juiced
1-2 Tbs of vinegar (white or cider)
1 Tbs of EVO
Can dice up pickled jalapeño or fresh, can add minced Serrano pepper as well to taste. Great place to use Hatch Green Chile as well.

View attachment 674339
To this you can add shredded carrots or radish or other root crops. Let this mixture set for 4 hours before using but will keep for upwards of a month if stirred every couple days from the fridge.

This is a bright very flavorful addition to any meal.
this looks so good. Trying this out with some green chile added

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky