80 Gal Air Tank Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ratrod54

Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
i am in the process of building a smoker from an 80 gal air tank. I finally got into the tank and noticed internal corrosion, which I thought I would have. I was surprised by the amount of compressor oil in the tank. I have a sand blaster and was going to blast the inside of the tank. Will blasting and a good hot burn before use take care of the oil?
FDDB0CD2-FDAB-461E-8E41-D9ABC6E4BBFD_zpscw4wewpw.jpg

I'm new to the forum, but some years ago I converted a 120 gallon air reciever into a smoker for a friend and coworker. The oil and corrosion was not a problem, but the tank walls proved thinner than I thought they would. The main issue we had was the design. He was the chef and bbq smoker and I was welder and fabricator. Everyone else in the shop was designer, it went through so many changes that first draft was almost unusable. Later modifications, without the input from the rest of the shop made for a good smoker. Just remember, as long as you have more stick and a grinder nothing is ruined.

great looking start, I would just knock the loose stuff off with a wire brush, and build a good fire in it and burn everything out.

My Son turned a 250 gallon Heating Oil tank into a Big Pig Cooker years ago.
He rented a Sand-blaster & did the whole thing, inside & out with it.
Worked Great.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky