500 gallon of smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scooter1909

Original poster
Jul 11, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site but have been doing a lot of reading on here for a while. I'm building a reverse flow 500 gallon propane tank smoker. I have the door cut out and hinges on. I'm going with a single door with a large counterweight so we can do whole hogs. My question is I'm going through the calculator and want to double check something.i plan on cutting one end of the tank off and putting a warming box above it so in the first step how do I figure how many gallons it is. And in the second step where you need length do u include the cone on the one end or stop the length measurement at the weld seam. And how do u post pics on here from a phone

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site but have been doing a lot of reading on here for a while. I'm building a reverse flow 500 gallon propane tank smoker. I have the door cut out and hinges on. I'm going with a single door with a large counterweight so we can do whole hogs. My question is I'm going through the calculator and want to double check something.i plan on cutting one end of the tank off and putting a warming box above it so in the first step how do I figure how many gallons it is. And in the second step where you need length do u include the cone on the one end or stop the length measurement at the weld seam. And how do u post pics on here from a phone

I can't help you with much here, Scooter, but I connect my cell phone to my computer with a USB cord, and upload my images.
If you PM Rings-R-Us, Johnny posts from his phone very regularly.
I'll see if I can get his attention for you... ;)

I post only from my phone.
Upload file button

7788EB9F-56B4-48B8-9347-6BCC2700946A.png

Then choose file.

16DB7D90-7120-4054-A2BA-A62E22276E08.png

Verbage:

"Upload file
Choose file..
Documents...
And then my Gallery..
Then From my camera pics...
Then click on the pic to send it...

Johnny B"

Hope that helps...
SonnyE

Tried it and it keeps saying uploaded image is to big
Save your images as jpg's. And a smaller size if you can.
jpg file format was developed for emailing and web posting later. It automatically condenses the file to a smaller size to work with the web. Comes from the modem days. (Or as we ancients say, the MoDamn dayz.)
Check your settings for your camera in your phone. Besides, you don't need huge high def images slowing your phone down. ;)

I think I got it Sonny. Technology is not my thing lol. Thanks for the help guys

It's heavy but I'm a heavy equipment mech so I have lots of access to heavy counterweights. We put 100lbs of counterweight and it worked really well .I'm hoping to get it put on tomorrow and see how it works .

Also picked up this trailer for cheap. Can u guys take a look at these numbers to make sure I did it all right.

Not sure the trailer is up to task for a 500 gallon smoker. With firebox and grates you will be at about 750kg. Personally I would build a more sturdy trailer.

fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch

Here's something I managed to stick together this week. Used a mix of chewing gum, dirt and hair off a pig to glue it together. Probably going to fall apart before you finish reading it.

Reactions: smokin peachey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky