5 TIPS FOR TACO TUESDAY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Thought i would share a couple tips for taco Tuesday's.

1st tip ...always make more than you think you need! Tacos go down easy! Lol!

2nd tip.....make sure you have plenty of ice cold beverage to wash them down.. Especially if your using spicy ingredients. ( for me beer works great here)

3rd tip... We like to just put everything on a plate in the middle of the table. Grab a tortilla and pile on what you like...repeat. This is great for the kids too..they love making tacos for themselfs.
This is what was left after we ate.....i had a few more for a snack before bed. But you get the idea
0421202142a.jpg

4th tip....cilantro ..if you find yourself not using the entire pack of cilantro it will save for 4 weeks or better if you store it like this.
Put it in a mason jar filled with water and put a zip lock bag over the top. Seal it as best you can and pop it in the fridge. Ive kept it as long as 4 weeks and not one sign of it starting to wilt so I know it can go longer.
0421202141a.jpg

And finally tip # 5... Sour cream. We like to buy the squeeze sour cream but I still didnt like how it squeezed out. Big giant globs of sour cream. Sometimes thats ok but when you just want to drizzle some on top it doesnt work very well. Do yourself a favor and the next time you run out of a bottle of catsup unsrew the lid ,wash it out and save it for the sour cream. It screws right on to the sour cream pack.
0421202143.jpg

Then you can get a nice thin bead of sour cream instead of a big fat glob.
0421202311a.jpg

Well thats my tips for for taco Tuesday. Hopefully they are useful
Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Travis. Really like the sour cream trick. My kids go through ketchup like no ones business so shouldn't take long before I have an empty bottle.

Great thread

Another idea and what we do in our place for the sour cream trick, simply drop a tablespoon or 2 or 3 into the bottom corner of a throwaway ziploc sandwich bag and nip the corner off and squeeze a bead or two like icing a cake. Then you waste nothing and only have what you need in squirt format.

Great thread

Another idea and what we do in our place for the sour cream trick, simply drop a tablespoon or 2 or 3 into the bottom corner of a throwaway ziploc sandwich bag and nip the corner off and squeeze a bead or two like icing a cake. Then you waste nothing and only have what you need in squirt format.
This is what i used to do also. But its so much nicer to be able to grab the squeeze bottle. Flip the top back on and your done. Almost everything we use sour cream on its usually squeezed onto something. If I need some for a recipe I just buy a tub.

Good tips Travis! I need to try the cilantro trick although I use it up pretty quickly once I buy it..but this would allow me to buy more at once.

Only thing I can add is always warm your tortillas.

HUGE like for the cilantro trick! Totally agree the squeeze container sour cream is weak. Will also try the ketchup bottle hack. THANKS

As always, food looks killer.

HUGE like for the cilantro trick! Totally agree the squeeze container sour cream is weak. Will also try the ketchup bottle hack. THANKS

As always, food looks killer.
Thanks zwiller! We always buy about 3 bunches at a time. Keep it like this and we always have when we need it. Works good for green onion too!

Great Looking Tacos Gotta have Cilantro amd Sour Cream kicks it up another notch.

Here in East Texas Dairy Queen has Taco Tuesday every week a buck apiece

Gary

Great Looking Tacos Gotta have Cilantro amd Sour Cream kicks it up another notch.

Here in East Texas Dairy Queen has Taco Tuesday every week a buck apiece

Gary
Gary, we have a couple Mexican places here that do the $1 tacos as well. One of them is buffet style. You just tell them what kind of tortillas you want and what meat. They bring them out to you and you take them to the bar and top as you wish. $1.25 per taco cant beat it!

Great looking meal and even better ideas!

Sue said she takes asparagus spears and drops them in a jar with water - no plastic bag and they last a long time.

LIKE!

John
Thanks John! Never tried it with aspearigus. That will be handy once I get a good patch going.

Nice post Sowsage Sowsage and I really like the sour cream tip!

I must confess I do a lid swap on mustard... at the store hahaha. Sooooo plain yellow mustard to me is plain yellow mustard no matter the brand BUT the cheapo brands always have a lid that squirts out a TON of mustard and I like mustard but not heavy mustard.
What is that if I can't find a cheapo bottle of mustard that has a reasonable cap (doesn't allow a ton to come out) I simply swap the lid with a French's mustard lid. Both bottles have lids but French's always has a way more controlled poor via their lids hahahhaa. I know, I'm a criminal :D

One last thing on tacos if you don't mind me offering a tip.
If you are using store bought flour tortillas please please please please warm them all up by just putting a skillet on the stove and turn the burner on high and let the skillet get good and hot. Then put the store bought flour tortilla on and let it brown up to the point where it is just starting to show signs of crisping ten flip and do the other side.
If you do this you will still have a flexible tortilla BUT you cook out all of the styrofoam like flavors. It is a night and day flavor difference that makes store bought tortillas more like "real" or hand made tortillas. This can work with corn tortillas too.
Try that out and let me know what you think :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky