3-1 to a 2-1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddow229

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 10, 2022
Christian County, MO
This is a mod not a build. I bought an Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn 3-1 about a month ago for a very reasonable price. I felt and still feel it was a mixture of mediocre in two worlds. No really big enough smoker to do big smokes and the grill isn’t big enough to do more than a few burgers at a time. We already have a nice propane grill so I decided to do a thing.
I cut the spot welds that hold the dividing wall out then pulled that wall completely out. I then took out all of the propane grilling parts. I cut a new hole for the chimney, moved the chimney and then used part of the center wall I removed to cover the old chimney hole. One of the tent Heat deflectors covered the vent in the back of the grill side. I left the side burner on because I like to use that to start my charcoal in my chimney. I plan to seal the few leaks I have and paint it again.
I am considering a taller stack. I did cut down some old grates and put them in my fire box to get the charcoal up off the barrel and get some air flow. I have a couple of bad pictures to share.

Attachments

• 18A31091-3D19-445D-A242-30009EEF6065.jpeg
    18A31091-3D19-445D-A242-30009EEF6065.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 5F44FAE2-BDDB-40B1-BBD3-6FB29C3240E1.jpeg
    5F44FAE2-BDDB-40B1-BBD3-6FB29C3240E1.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DD95FCD5-6C11-4C86-BC36-AB399FE8DCF9.jpeg
    DD95FCD5-6C11-4C86-BC36-AB399FE8DCF9.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 32
  • A36DCC85-2DA1-4DC9-91C0-E6C2FCA60B08.jpeg
    A36DCC85-2DA1-4DC9-91C0-E6C2FCA60B08.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 33
Hey ddow229, I have exactly the same situation and I’m hoping you can give a little update on your mod.

I was gifted an OK Joe Longhorn combo as a wedding gift back in 2016. I have loved working with it, as it was definitely a big upgrade from my Weber kettle. But after a few years I got frustrated with the lack of space… and then the gas side - which I hardly ever use - quit working. That’s what made me start thinking about this mod. I’d like to cut out the middle divider and move the smoke stack to the end of the chamber.

I’m wondering if you can share some of your thoughts on your mod after some time using it? Was it an improvement overall? Did it change your fire management style? Would you change anything else?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any feedback you can offer.

I’m wondering if you can share some of your thoughts on your mod after some time using it? Was it an improvement overall? Did it change your fire management style? Would you change anything else?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any feedback you can offer.

First off, I love it. It is easier to manage the fire with more space. A couple weeks ago I cooked a pork butt and a land roast together. It likes about 280 degrees. Anything below or above and I struggle to maintain temp.

As far as changing something, I think my stack placement could be better. I mean, it works but I think it could just be better position. The hole between the fire box and the cooking area is huge. I am thinking about covering part of it. There is an issue of flame flare up and going into the cook area which can cause obvious issue for whatever is in there.

All in all, I am happy i did it. I got.a pellet grill for Christmas so sadly the stock burner doesn’t get used as much as it did. My wife does most of the smoking now, while I am at work. I do have a leg of lamb to cook,though.

Fire management is easier with more draft. Sometimes I run with the door open, sometimes it doesn’t like that. Usually I run it all with the vent, just opening or shutting it down depending.

I would recommend anyone to do it. I like having the side propane burner. I start my charcoal there. I have a Weber Kettle as well and the charcoal starting is priceless. If you take nothing else from my story than that, keep the side burner.

Yeah just do it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky