2nd smoke ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingrider78

Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Hello all, I am new here (already been to roll call) and have already cooked one 8lb turkey breast. It turned out great, that was on saturday. The temperature outside really jump in the past couple days, so I thought I would experiment with the new smoker and see what would happen since it was 30* warmer outside today than Saturday....here are the results. 8lb turkey breast (again), over apple wood chunks (again), in my Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker. This was a bird in solution, so I didn't brine. Put some rub on, and put her in the smoker for a little over 4 hours. It took 6 1/2 hours on Saturday with a temp at 20* outside.

Bird on the grill with rub on it
DSCN2909.JPG
DSCN2909.JPG

Smoking (hey is this a proper amount of smoke, should I have more or less???)
DSCN2910.JPG

4 hours later
DSCN2913.JPG

DSCN2914.JPG

What was left of her when we were done
DSCN2915.JPG

How's that for my 2nd smoke??? All we keep saying is that this has been the best turkey we have ever eaten, and that we would be disappointed going anywhere else for a turkey dinner, if they weren't smoking it.

This is me protecting my leftovers!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
DSCN2909.JPG

wing........NICE........perfect on the tbs..............
even when i get poultry in solution........i soak in fresh water to try and remove what they put in.............then brine in my own solution.......just a thought for your next time.........but..........looking good for you........

here's points

d88de

Looks pretty yummy! I've only done one bird so far and it turned out pretty good. The flavor was good, but a slight dry. I'll do better next time.

Great job Wingrider, looks really good. Just for the record, I always brind poultry, it keeps it real juicey.

This was in 15% solution, so I read not to brine, but I do like Walking Dude's idea about a soak in freshwater to get their solution out and put my own in.....even still, it was the juiciest bird we have ever had.

I think next time I am going to find a bird that isn't in solution and give her a bath that includes some veggies and maybe some apple juice.

Walking Dude, what can I cash those points in for around here?

wing.....the bird i had GIVEN to us for turkey day, had that same amount of solution..........so...........sometimes its a bit difficult to find one minimally enhanced...........so if it does........don't be worried.......just do as i suggested..............

Don't eat the dark meat, no since in buying the bird with more than just breasts. Besides, who wouldn't like breasts like these???
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky