2011 SELA gathering Oct 28,29 and 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dang, I can't make up my mind!  Guess I'll have to buy more rabbit and do it both ways!  5 lbs smoked, wrapped in bacon, 5 lbs like Chef Brigsten and 5 lbs like a good old cajun smoked.  I can cure the rabbit for a couple of days before BobDog gets to the party and we can stuff it then..  Chef's recipe is closer to a fresh sausage and we just need to cook it to temp in 4 hours on the hot smoker., shouldn't be a problem

Going to start a SELA picture thread so I can post pics of the curing bacon.  Remember limited access to post at the farm, unless you want to load pics at 3 am.  Anyone else doing prep could also post in the new thread so we can follow the process in one location.  We can keep this thread going for communication, directions and chat.  Keep the update thread open for attendance.

Thanks Guys 

Bob

Please remember to bring your filet knife,  we have a lot of bellies to skin when they come out of the smoker.  I have one but I only catch small fish so it not long enough to skin the entire belly in one pass.

Thanks,  See you in BR at Whole Foods around 4:00  I'll give you a call around 3:00 to let you know when the classes will let out.

I had a member request a sausage  making/stuffing demo Saturday,   Joe are you still up to it?   Shouldn't need much. 

Not a problem Al...........I'll be glad to demonstrate the addiction......................

Joe

It is all an addiction.  LOL  Sausage BBQ curing all of it.  Yep contrar to popular belief I am alive!  LOL   We have so much going on that I so need a 3 day off weekend.  Cant wait.  I have butts and briskets,  Sandy is getting the fixins for her cinnimon rolls together.  I will be making rub this week sometime and starting to pack my chuck box.  See ya all at the gathering.

It is all an addiction.  LOL  Sausage BBQ curing all of it.  Yep contrar to popular belief I am alive!  LOL   We have so much going on that I so need a 3 day off weekend.  Cant wait.  I have butts and briskets,  Sandy is getting the fixins for her cinnimon rolls together.  I will be making rub this week sometime and starting to pack my chuck box.  See ya all at the gathering.

Amen brother...........looking forward to meeting ya

Last edited:
I sent enough butt home w/ al to make a good batch or two of sausage. 77 lbs.

Bob, please be careful the way you phrase future refrences to your or my butt.  

BTW   How about doing a couple of lbs of those chicken wings with the Alligator Sauce Piquante for Thursday night dinner?  Unless you have another idea?  The reason I mention this is if we do wings we will need to brine them? or at least defrost them.

Joe, any idea what you want for dinner Wednesday night?  Liz or I will probably go to Slidell and pickup the oysters early wed, I can get some boiled shrimp and stuffed artichokes, make some salads so we don't have 5 straight days of smoked food!  Let me know what you have the hankering for.  I can do some burgers over charcoal?  Maybe a couple of Ribeyes on the grill over pecan wood?

The boiled shrimp and stuffed artichoke sounds good.......Well the burger and and ribeye sounds good too,,, but we'll be eating meat the whole weekend so the seafood is appealing

joe

Okie Doke,

We'll try for boilded shrimp salads and stuffed artichokes.  They normally have a couple of artichokes in the cooler.  If Bob was going to be here Wed he could make a good Remoulade dressing for us, guess I'll just have to give it a try!

Last edited:
Bob, please be careful the way you phrase future refrences to your or my butt.  

BTW   How about doing a couple of lbs of those chicken wings with the Alligator Sauce Piquante for Thursday night dinner?  Unless you have another idea?  The reason I mention this is if we do wings we will need to brine them? or at least defrost them.

Joe, any idea what you want for dinner Wednesday night?  Liz or I will probably go to Slidell and pickup the oysters early wed, I can get some boiled shrimp and stuffed artichokes, make some salads so we don't have 5 straight days of smoked food!  Let me know what you have the hankering for.  I can do some burgers over charcoal?  Maybe a couple of Ribeyes on the grill over pecan wood?
I can thaw some wings out and have em brined and seasoned when i get there thur.. Good idea cause i don't think Sherrie was to keen on gator.

here ya go.

Remolaude sauce.

1/2 stalk celery ( diced fine )

1 stalk green onion ( diced fine)

3/4 C. mayo

2 Tbsp . creole mustard

2 Tbsp.  Ketchup

2 Tbsp. horse radish ( I like it w/ 3 tbsp)

1/2 tsp. wostershire

1/2 tsp. tobassco

1 tsp. paprika

1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cayanne (to taste)

1/4 tsp dill ( Optional)

blend or process till smooth . Chill well before serving.

That's a good recipe Bob,  I'm willing to bet that Boykjo has a pretty sensitive pallet so I might go light on the horseradish and allow him to add if he wants. 

May as well take the chickens out and brine them at the same time.  What do you think, inject one or two with a bit of diluted crab boil and garlic butter?  Leave one for the kids with just the garlic butter? 

Sausage for Friday's lunch.

I'll come up w/ an injection for the birds that isn't to hot.

how many chickens  do i need to do?

I though we talked about 3 for Friday night,  is that still a good number?  Oyster poboys, hush puppies, onion rings, left over alligator sauce picante, smoked chicken, sausage poboys?  If you don't have them yet let me know.   Need something for the non-adventerous.

I think i have 5 in the freezer and leblanc's has them for .59 lb this week if i need more.

I knew we had said 3 but was not sure if we were still at that number.

I expect to have people getting in late on Friday night, what would be a good way to make sure they get fed?  Drop oysters in grease if we need them, reheat smoked chicken or sausage poboys. 

Cold fried oysters are not all that appetizing, plus any fried oysters not on somebodies plate will disapear pretty quick.   I'm pretty comfortable with 3 chickens being enough but the good thing about them is that we can make a chicken waldorf type of cracker spread for the weekend out of the leftovers.  

Jerry if you are reading this should I pickup Jalapenos or will you have some? 

No one goes to bed hungry!

talked to jerry last night and he is bringing japs ,habs, okra , bell peppers and maybe lettuce .

You forgot the tomatoes in that list Bob
biggrin.gif

You still have tomatos  I guess that's my next project, a greenhouse.   Thanks for the fresh vegs,  sounds like buffalo kabobs to me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky