2010 A Smoke Odyssey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigslick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Dexter, MI
Merry Christmas to all!

Now the reason for this post...
Brief background:
I am from SE MI, have a GOSM used 2-3 times a year for jerky or smoking fish only, until very recently.
Never had BBQ until work sent me to TX a year or so ago. When I got home I found this site, and lurked as I dusted off the GOSM to try my hand (ribs, butts, and even a brisket.)
So I decided after 6 months of horsing around, to make myself a challenge, so 2010 is now going to be my Smoke Odyssey!
Armed with the propane GOSM (my goto smoker), 2 Lil Chiefs (bought at garage sale I have never used them yet) and a BGE (primarily bought to grill but plan to put into smoking action) I will try to smoke as many different things as possible. My goal is 1 different thing a week on average so 52 things (may not seem like much to the seasoned smokers but will be a challenge for me, due to time, money and organization/planning skills lol)
All will be q-viewed, good Lord willing ;-)
So I have a short list to start with, some standards, and stuff I have done already but my list is growing.
I plan to start Dec 31st with a non precooked ham I have in the freezer that should go over night into the 1st and that will be my beginning...

Thanks to all who post and have given me tips, it is this site and its members that gave me this idea, and the feeling, I can pull this off and learn as much as possible in 2010. I know I will be asking many questions and hopefully getting to a point where I will be able to answer some.

Godspeed,
bigslick

The List:
Ham
Baby Backs
Spare Ribs
Beef Ribs
Beer Can Chicken
Brisket
Fatties (can't wait to try these!!!)
Fish
Turkey
Sausage (want to try making)
almost forgot CHEESE!
I hunt, so deer and other game, as it is harvested
...I realize there are more than enough ideas on this site and I plan to sort through all the forums to get a good cross section as the weeks go by.

The 2 things I have left to do that I have not done yet:

BEEF, (brisket and or chuckie)

Fattie, Just haven't made up my mind as to the ingredients yet...

bigslick, go for it! And you will be surprised at how much you'll get done. You'll be surprised at how many things you'll want to do over. And how many new things that cost very little, you'll pick up on the journey. Just remember its a journey to be enjoyed so if something doesn't turn out the way you wanted, just make notes of what you will change the next time you cook it. You will be surprised at how much you will learn in a short time. Good luck to ya and your odyssey.

It will be interesting watching your journey. Do I understand right that you made jerky in your GOSM? If so, how were you able to keep the temps in the 145* range?

One hint I might pass along to you is to be sure to have a back up propane tank (filled, of course), ready to step into the battle if the smoke takes alot longer because of an unanticipated stall or plateau. It just happened to me last night while trying my first pulled porks. Made it but, just..... Where's that smilie that lets out a great sigh of relief????

~Dave

Thanks, I am looking forward to the journey. I agree mistakes are all part of it, I don't let that get me to upset, usually learn from it and laugh it off while choking it down or eating pizza

"you made jerky in your GOSM? If so, how were you able to keep the temps in the 145* range?"

Have only been able to smoke jerky in the GOSM here in the winter time, when it is good and cold out I can keep the temps down, that is why i historically only smoked in the winter a few times.

and yes on the extra propane! I learned from grilling. I have 3 tanks now.

Godspeed,
bigslick

Bigslick,

Just watched Julia and Julia this weekend. You can Blog, right..?
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Looking forward to your posts.
Tracey

Merry Christmas
You come to the right place. The gang here is great. They have walked me through many smokes. Good Luck with your journey. Keep an open mind and wood pile but the lid on your smoker closed while smokin the best ya can.
Here is something that helped me. I adjusted the temps tho on the whole chicken and whole turkey for myself.

Type of Meat
Smoking Temp
Time to Complete
Finished Temp
Brisket (Sliced)
225°F
1.5 hours/pound
180 degrees
Brisket (Pulled)
225°F
1.5 hours/pound
195 degrees
Beef Ribs
225°F
3 hours
175 degrees
Pork Butt (Sliced)
225°F
1.5 hours/pound
175 degrees
Pork Butt (Pulled)
225°F
1.5 hours/pound
190-205
Whole Chicken
300°F
2-3 hours
167 degrees
Chicken Thighs
250°F
1.5 hours
167 degrees
Chicken Quarters
250°F
3 hours
167 degrees
Whole Turkey 12#
300°F
4.5 hours
170 degrees
Turkey Leg
250°F
4 hours
165 degrees
Turkey Wings
225°F
2.5 hours
165 degrees
Boudin
230°F
2.5 hours
165 degrees
Breakfast Sausage
230°F
3 hours
160 degrees
Fatties
225°F
3 hours
165 degrees
Meat Loaf
250 -300°F
3 hours
160 degrees
Meatballs (2 inch)
225°F
1 hour
165 degrees
Spare Ribs
225-240°F
6 hours
172 degrees
Baby Back Ribs
225-240°F
5 hours
168 degrees
Smoked Corn
225°F
1.5 – 2 hours
N/A
Smoked Potatoes
225°F
2 – 2.5 Hours
N/A
Note: Be sure to use temperature to tell you when the meat is done.. time is just an estimate and is NOT an indicator of doneness.

--ray--

Good luck to you. I live in Fenton and my sister and brother in law live in in Bridgewater. We do a lot of sausage and smoking. If you get yourself needing some info don't hesitate to send a pm..

Good luck to you and congratulations. You're gonna have a huge chest once you start letting others sample your ware. Most people have never had good smoked food like I'm sure you will be producing.

Ron

Walle, my wife saw the movie said it was good. I am sure I will see it soon. :-)
Silverwolf, thanks a ton for the list. I was thinking of doing something similar, I find myself spending most of my time on here trying to finds all that info! times (est) and temps. You have saved me a ton of time in 2010 and given me a great list to work from!
Ron, thanks for the offer I will pm you for sure next month. (have a deer hanging in the garage that is just itching to get put into casing, lol) Sausage is high on my list to start messing with and I know nothing about it yet. btw, I work in Manchester and drive through Bridgewater pretty regularly heading to Saline/AA, sometimes hit happy hour at the Bank or what ever that bar is called.
poraholic thanks for the well wishes, cant wait to get started.
Just finished eating a pizza off the BGE will post a Q view tomorrow under the grilling section.
Thanks again everyone.
Godspeed,
bigslick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky