1st shot at pork belly burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tbuff

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Augusta, GA
My boss sent me a 9 lb pork belly. Was going to cure half for bacon, but decided to just do burnt ends with the whole thing, then will attempt curing later.

20190302_134355.jpg

Started with my rub
20190302_140239.jpg

So I actually had too much that I could fit on my smoker. I could technically fit it all, but I would have had too much too close to the fire box, and I didn't want to overcook and burn part of it.

20190302_140530.jpg

I need to clean the outside of this thing badly.

I also smoked while I smoked
20190302_143414.jpg

I pulled them once they had a good color and texture to them. Was around 3 hours.

I'm still playing with keeping the temp steady. Had some spikes, but it didn't really hurt me at all

20190302_163004.jpg
20190302_165245.jpg

After that they went into a pan with a stick of butter, tossed some Brown sugar and squirted some honey on top. Covered, then went back on for 1.5 hours more.
20190302_165810.jpg

20190302_182133.jpg

Pulled them. They looked and smelled so damn good.

Transferred to a new pan, and added my glaze. Went 1 cup of bbq sauce, 1/4 cup of apple juice and 1/4 cup of apple jelly.

5 minutes of that uncovered and this was the final product.

20190302_182900.jpg
20190302_182951.jpg

I also took a few chunks out, pre butter and honey bath, and chopped up for tacos. The wife made a spicy corn and black bean slaw.
That turned out delicious

20190302_183620.jpg

The pbbe turned out so damn good. Like a candy version of bacon.

If you haven't done this yet, do it. You won't be disappointed.

Ends look really good to me. Great Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Great idea on the tacos. Any more details on the slaw?

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Great idea on the tacos. Any more details on the slaw?
My wife just kind of winged it.

Cabbage
Mexicsn style Corn
Black beans
Corn and beans got some seasoning and then roasted in a pan

Mayo
Sour cream
Lime juice
Taco seasoning
Green chili's
Jalapenos

Not sure on quantities as she just eyeballed most of it

Looks fantastic, but they are so rich, I can only eat a few of them so I usually cut a strip off the thin part of a belly for burnt ends, then use the rest for bacon.
Al

Looks fantastic, but they are so rich, I can only eat a few of them so I usually cut a strip off the thin part of a belly for burnt ends, then use the rest for bacon.
Al
For sure. I didn't have any cure to use and needed to cook this thing before it went bad. Also going to a birthday party in a bit, so if everybody has a few pieces that should take care of most of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky