1st full packer disappointed (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
I havent posted in over year but I decided it's time. This is my first full packet brisket, just over 15 pounds. CAB (certified Angus beef) choice grade. I've been smoking as much as possible for 3-4 years now and just now tackling this big milestone. I've done a lot of research and thought the outcome would be awesome. But this was a little bit of a letdown. I didnt hate it but this definitely came across having a smoked pot roast taste. Maybe you guys with more experience have some pointers.

20200504_143011.jpg

I trimmed off about 3 pounds off fat, got most of the silver skin, and left 1/4 inch on the fat cap. I injected the night before cooking. Its Malcom Reeds injection recipe using water, beef stock, accent, Worcestershire and soy sauce.
?hash=267abdcf3b55db8e6dac79c0eabeb78e.jpg

I put together a brisket rub I found online. Tweaked it a little to my taste. It was savory, decent salt and pepper flavor, a little heat, and then topped with some Montreal steak seasoning for texture.
20200507_095519.jpg

I had the UDS setup with B&B briquettes, hickory and cherry wood for smoke, held about 250 degrees the whole time. Had a few swings but nothing major. Here it is at 1.5 hours. I started spritzing every hour or so with equal parts water and acv.
20200507_095645.jpg

3.5 hours
?hash=267abdcf3b55db8e6dac79c0eabeb78e.jpg

6 hours
20200507_144817.jpg

Pulled it when the flat hit 165. I gave it a good spritz before wrapping in peach butcher paper.
20200507_160710.jpg

Pulled it at 205 on the flat. Probe went in super easy.
20200507_204633.jpg

The bark was harder than I expected. The bottom(fat cap) stuck to the butcher paper pretty bad. Wasnt expecting that. I let it rest, still wrapped, on the counter until the temp came back down to around 160. Then sliced it up.
20200507_223518.jpg

Harry wouldnt leave my side.
20200509_124759.jpg

This was the finished product. I think I missed my window of when to pull it off the smoker. I was putting the kids to bed. It wasnt completely dry, but definitely not as juicy as I'd hoped.
20200508_000905.jpg

It wasn't what I was hoping for. I didnt hate it. It just didnt have a bbq flavor I was hoping for. I wasnt impressed with the taste of the rub on the finished product. I think next time I will use my own rub recipe (it works great on beef ribs), and may skip the injection. Idk if it helped the flavor or juiciness. Maybe next time I should just keep it simple and not overthink the process. I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

• 20200507_033101.jpg
    20200507_033101.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200507_115157.jpg
    20200507_115157.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200509_124759.jpg
    20200509_124759.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: gmc2003
Join the club :) Many of us have been disappointed with our first brisket and more than one after the first!! Sounds like you did things on point for sure.i do not rest mine at room temp letting the temp coast down. I cooler mine for a good hour usually to let juices redistribute. For the wrapping step I prefer putting mine in a foil pan with a cup of my broth and wrapping tightly. Lately I don’t trim as much fat from mine either. Lastly much of it is the meat itself. I finally did a prime packer and it was off the hook best I’ve done and I didn’t even inject. I usually inject with Butcher Bbq Prime Brisket or Minors beef broth / au jus mix.

Simple is always a good approach. Try Texas style only a 50-50 mix of black pepper and salt. Probed tender... where did you probe, how many places, on the flat or the point? The feel should be like the probe going into a jar of peanut butter in many places on the flat. Point will give a false reading due to amount of fat.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
I think you trimmed it a bit much, and prime is the way to go you should se marbling through the meat. I am just starting to get to the point where I can tell a good brisket from a bad one at the meat shop. I would also go a bit lighter on the rub.

Looks pretty good to me also, especially for your first!!! Judging by your description and ingredients. I bet the injection gave it that pot roast taste, and I agree with you about missing the window by oh that much. Overdone brisket in my experience has a tendency to crumble apart. The crumbles will make an excellent hash so don't let them go to waste.

Point for sure
Chris

Simple is always a good approach. Try Texas style only a 50-50 mix of black pepper and salt. Probed tender... where did you probe, how many places, on the flat or the point? The feel should be like the probe going into a jar of peanut butter in many places on the flat. Point will give a false reading due to amount of fat.
I've considered going 50/50 salt and pepper. Maybe next time. I probed multiple places on the flat, but I think i should have started probing a little sooner. I'm still getting use to the feel of probing through butcher paper too. This was my first time using it. It does put a little resistance on the probe.

Hell yeah. My first one came out nasty. Trusted a family member. Used mesquite all thru the cook. Found I'm not a fan of over smoked meat using that wood.
Best rub I found was just simple salt/pepper for me. Made many good ones since then. Best practice i found for me was wrapping up and throw in the cooler for a while letting all them good juices absorb back into the meat.
Practice, practice, practice. You'll find what you like.

Looks pretty good to me also, especially for your first!!! Judging by your description and ingredients. I bet the injection gave it that pot roast taste, and I agree with you about missing the window by oh that much. Overdone brisket in my experience has a tendency to crumble apart. The crumbles will make an excellent hash so don't let them go to waste.

Point for sure
Chris
I'm leaning toward the injection too. The broth by itself had a taste that was like a rich beef broth. Not a bad flavor, but maybe not what I'm looking for. Are there any home made brisket injection recipes you recommend? I know butcher and kosmos make good stuff but I like experimenting with my own at first.

And yeah I saved all the crumbles. If nothing else I will throw some sauce on it for pulled beef sandwiches.

Hell yeah. My first one came out nasty. Trusted a family member. Used mesquite all thru the cook. Found I'm not a fan of over smoked meat using that wood.
Best rub I found was just simple salt/pepper for me. Made many good ones since then. Best practice i found for me was wrapping up and throw in the cooler for a while letting all them good juices absorb back into the meat.
Practice, practice, practice. You'll find what you like.
I agree. I need more practice but it's a pretty expensive meat to practice a lot with.

FWIW smoking it with the fat cap up helps immensely. Ive resorted to only doing the fat half of briskets. Cutting out some of the deckle fat and tying it to hold shape.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky