1st Butt Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hebby

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Torrance, Ca
Hi All,

Put my 1st pork Butt in at 11:30 pm on Sat night. I just ordered an AMZN pellet smoke generator but was having issues with it staying lit. I think it was due to airflow in my smoker as it would burn fine outside however when I placed it in my smoker it would go out. I converted my fire box with a propane burner from gassmoker.com and it has really helped to maintain even temps in my offset system after I modified it a bit. If I take out my tuning plates and place the AMZN next to the vent for cold smoking I think it will work great. Anyways I went to sleep for a few hours and got up at 5:30 to check on the butt. Also, it was still a little frozen in the center when I put it in, not rock solid but definitely more than I would like but I had people coming over the next day so I had to get it in. It was about 9Lbs. Also used the finishing sauce from the sticky. Very good.

You can see the AMZN in the left side of my smoker by the thermo wire. This placement didn't work to well as there wasn't enough airflow. I will be smoking some bacon this week so I'll play with it and get it operational.

Here's my setup. I use a 55oz juice can and place wood in it on top of the burner to generate smoke. Sometimes I have to put foil over the opening and poke some holes to keep it smoldering. However sometimes this makes charcoal after awhile.

Finished about 11:45 am at 205 degrees and into the cooler for a few hours. Almost 12 hours exactly.

Happy friends, they also got to drink some Double IPA I brewed awhile back, went well with the pulled pork and Dutch's Beans.

Last edited:
  Hi Hebby. Sounds like it came out good! But I couldn't get any of the links to work.
icon_cry.gif

Now I see the pics!  Looks good.
icon_smile.gif

Mike

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky