16 Day Bacon Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvachewlover

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Richmond, Va
Wanted to throw this out for any input. Been curing a ~4lb slab of pork belly for the past 16 days; got distracted at Christmas and couldn't get it on the smoker before today. I opened up the bag and noticed some browning on the belly. It also has the slight off smell that meat sometimes gives off. Let me say I know what rancid meat smells like and this isn't it. It's more of an off smell that isn't necessarily unpleasant.

Wanted to double check if anyone has had this happen on longer cures. I figure the cure should kill or inhibit everything (never left the fridge). You can see I've scraped some of it off in the photo.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 34
I used digging dogs calculator with Prague #1. I bought two 10 pound bellies, I smoked three before Christmas and now this one. The other bellies were cured for 7 days and turned out fine. It’s the brown spot that is throwing me off

I used digging dogs calculator with Prague #1. I bought two 10 pound bellies, I smoked three before Christmas and now this one. The other bellies were cured for 7 days and turned out fine. It’s the brown spot that is throwing me off
The brown spots are oxidation from being exposed to oxygen. If it’s not slimy, I’d rinse it, dry it and smoke it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky