15lbs of pastrami over 3 days

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
Recently I was browsing the meat section and found a great deal at Pathmark.
$.99lb corned beef so you know what that means...pastrami time!

Picked up 5 briskets weighing 14.73lbs, so not 15 but close enough.

I didn't even know Nathan's made corned beef until recently.

The Nathan's had 1870mg sodium and the other only 660mg so I soaked the Nathan's overnight changing the water out once and the next morning added the others for 6 hours.

I decided I would try 3 different ways of complete cooking to see which I liked the best. Instead of explaining them now I'll just go in order and describe the method as the pics progress.

Rubbed with 3 different rubs.
One was nothing more than coriander and black pepper that I toasted, cooled and ground up.

I did 2 with that rub, 2 with a rub consisting of coriander, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar and kosher salt. The I did one with the seasoning packet that came with it.

Threw them on the smoker over hickory at 225.

About an hour in I began spritzing with apple juice every 45 minutes to an hour.

2 hours in.

Once they hit 150 I pulled 3 of them off.
The packet spice rubbed one and one each of the others.

Steamed the packet rubbed for 3 hours and cooled and wrapped the other 2 and into the fridge till tomorrow.

It was alright but still a bit tough for my liking.

Almost forgot to mention, the other 2 on the smoker were brought to 180, cooled and into the fridge for a day.

So the next day I grabbed the 2 that were brought to 150 and pulled, steamed them for a good 2-2 1/2 hours
(sorry about the few bad pics)

It was juicy and delicious, not fall apart tender but thin sliced would have been excellent.

So the next day I take the remaining 2 that I brought up to 180, steamed them for 2-2 1/2 hours and sliced up.

It just fell apart, melt in your mouth pastrami goodness.
It was a good experiment and I couldn't tell you which I liked the most, the 2 at 150 pull or the 2 at 180, guess it all depends on your preference on pastrami texture but they were both great.

Once it gets cold I am going to try a method I read about where you cold smoke a corned beef for 5 hours, hot smoke it for 5 more hours and then wrap and smoke another 5 hours. Best to do it when it is cold outside since you want the cold temp to be around 60 degrees.

Had plenty of pastrami so I gave some away to family members, some trimmed a bit because some people think even black pepper is a bit too spicy...

Thanks for checking out my long post, hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did smoking and eating it.

Looks good nice job!!

Good reviews man. Me personally I think the key is thin shaved meat will always eat good so far as toughness.

$0.99 a pound?!?! I hate you guys LOL.

I'll send you the money and you send me the brisket. I just paid $3.99 a pound here.

Those look awesome man. Points for all the experimentation and for being willing to do all that. Good job outta you!

I LOVE corned beef brisket.

Shweeeeeet!
pig.jpg

That's some excellent looking pastrami! Thanks for sharing.

Man-O-man they look delicious. excellent job Fire!!!!
I really got to try the steam reheat method sometime, thanks for sharing the Q-view.

FIU, those look amazing. Great job as usual. I like it melt in your mouth tender and that last photo looks spot on. Excellent job slicing

love the experimenting you did. i have a navel plate going on tomorrow. cut it into 3 parts so it would cure more easily in my fridge. covered now in coriander and pepper only. might smoke them to different temps like you did.

I'll be very interested in the cold smoke/hot smoke/wrap experiment or the 5-5-5. Just remember the safety zone for time and temp although there should be enough salt in there to kill anything and keep them from coming back.

Cool those steamed ones came out awesome looking! Man I could go for a grilled sandwich with that nice job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky